World

Trump threatens military action against Nigeria over alleged Christian killings

US president orders Pentagon to prepare “fast and vicious” strike as Abuja rejects claims of religious persecution and vows to keep fighting extremism

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 02 Nov 2025 9:14AM

Trump threatens military action against Nigeria over alleged Christian killings
Trump says the US would “immediately halt all aid and assistance to Nigeria” and warned that any US intervention would be “guns-a-blazing” to wipe out the Islamic terrorists - November 2, 2025

UNITED STATES president Donald Trump has said he has instructed the Pentagon to prepare for possible military action against Nigeria, accusing the West African nation of failing to stop what he called the “killing of Christians”.

In a post on his Truth Social platform on Saturday, Trump announced that the US would “immediately halt all aid and assistance to Nigeria” and warned that any US intervention would be “guns-a-blazing” to “completely wipe out the Islamic terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities”.

Without providing evidence or specifics, Trump described Nigeria as a “disgraced country” and warned its government to “move quickly”. “If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet, just like the terrorist thugs attack our CHERISHED Christians!” Reuters cited Trump writing.

The White House has yet to comment on the former president’s threat or the potential timing of any US military move. Abuja, too, has not issued an official response.

Trump’s statement came a day after his administration reinstated Nigeria on the US State Department’s “Countries of Particular Concern” list, citing alleged violations of religious freedom. Other nations on the list include China, Myanmar, North Korea, Russia and Pakistan.

Before Trump’s post, Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had rejected accusations of religious intolerance, defending his government’s commitment to protecting all faiths.

“The characterisation of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality, nor does it take into consideration the consistent and sincere efforts of the government to safeguard freedom of religion and beliefs for all Nigerians,” Tinubu said in a statement.

He added that Nigeria’s constitution guarantees protection for citizens of all faiths.

Nigeria’s Foreign Ministry also issued a statement reaffirming its fight against violent extremism and expressing hope that Washington would remain an ally. “Nigeria will continue to defend all citizens, irrespective of race, creed, or religion. Like America, Nigeria has no option but to celebrate the diversity that is our greatest strength,” the statement read.

The US military presence in West Africa has declined since around 1,000 troops withdrew from Niger last year. The largest US base on the continent remains in Djibouti, East Africa, which hosts over 5,000 troops.

Trump had previously placed Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation and leading oil producer, on the “Countries of Particular Concern” list during his first term, before President Joe Biden removed it in 2021.

On Friday, Trump claimed that “thousands of Christians” were being killed in Nigeria by “radical Islamists”, though he did not provide details.

Nigeria, home to more than 200 ethnic groups with Christian, Muslim, and traditional faiths, has long experienced sporadic violence linked to ethnic tensions and resource conflicts. The Islamist group Boko Haram has waged an insurgency in the country’s northeast for over 15 years, killing tens of thousands of people—most of them Muslims, according to human rights observers.

Trump’s move to relist Nigeria was welcomed by some US lawmakers, including Republican Representative Tom Cole, who cited “the alarming and ongoing persecution of Christians across the country”. The Appropriations Committee’s fiscal 2026 national security bill has proposed more funding for international religious freedom programmes and for communities in Nigeria affected by extremist attacks.

The re-designation could allow for potential sanctions or other policy measures, though such actions are not automatic. Some religious groups had lobbied Trump to restore Nigeria’s status last month, warning that “Christianity is facing an existential threat” in the country. - November 2, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons