World

North Korea threatens “more offensive action” following missile test

Defence minister condemns U.S.-South Korea security talks and aircraft carrier visit as Seoul and Washington warn of regional instability

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 08 Nov 2025 10:47AM

North Korea threatens “more offensive action” following missile test
Defense Minister denounces the presence of the U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier George Washington in Busan following joint air drills, saying it escalated tensions - November 8, 2025

NORTH Korea’s Defense Minister, No Kwang Chol, warned on Saturday that Pyongyang will take “more offensive action” after firing a ballistic missile towards the sea off its east coast, denouncing U.S.-South Korea security talks and the arrival of a U.S. aircraft carrier in South Korea.

Reuters reported on Saturday that the missile launch on Friday came in response to fresh U.S. sanctions targeting North Korean individuals and entities accused of cyber-related money-laundering schemes.

South Korea’s defence ministry condemned the launch and described the North’s criticism of joint U.S.-South Korea meetings as “regrettable.”

No criticised a recent visit by U.S. and South Korean defence chiefs to the border and their subsequent security talks in Seoul, claiming they were conspiring to bolster deterrence against North Korea and integrate nuclear and conventional forces.

“This is a stark revelation and an unveiled intentional expression of their hostile nature to stand against the DPRK to the end,” he said, referring to North Korea by its formal name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

No also denounced the presence of the U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier George Washington in Busan following joint air drills, saying it escalated tensions on the peninsula. “We will show more offensive action against the enemies' threat on the principle of ensuring security and defending peace by dint of powerful strength,” he told state media KCNA. South Korea’s navy said the carrier visit was for resupply and crew leave.

The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said the missile “does not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territory, or to our allies” but emphasised that it “highlights the destabilising impact” of North Korea’s actions.

Last week, North Korea also test-fired cruise missiles west of the peninsula during regional meetings attended by U.S. President Donald Trump, who reiterated his willingness to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. - November 8, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren