World

Philippines bans arrivals from 20 countries over new virus strain

Filipinos arriving from banned countries must undergo 14-day quarantine even if testing negative for Covid-19

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Dec 2020 11:45PM

Philippines bans arrivals from 20 countries over new virus strain
The Philippines will bar non-citizens arriving from 20 countries, including Australia, France, Japan and Hong Kong, from entering the country over concerns around the new Covid-19 variant that emerged in the UK. – Twitter pic, December 29, 2020

MANILA – The Philippines will shut its borders to non-citizens arriving from 20 countries and territories in a bid to prevent a new strain of the coronavirus from entering the nation, officials said today.  

The ban on travellers from places including Australia, France, Japan and Hong Kong comes as the archipelago braces for a post-Christmas surge in the virus that has infected nearly half a million people. 

Dozens of countries closed their borders to Britain in recent weeks over rising cases of a variant that is believed to spread faster.

The Philippines – which has not yet detected the new strain – was among them, and in today’s announcement it extended the ban to January 15.

The measure takes effect tomorrow, presidential spokesman Harry Roque said.

Foreigners have been largely banned from entering the country during the pandemic, but authorities recently started to allow entry to holders of certain types of visas.

Filipinos returning home from countries on the list will be allowed to enter, but will have to undergo 14-days quarantine even if they test negative for Covid-19, he added.

Meanwhile, after months of talks, the Philippines has approved an application for its first clinical trial of a Covid-19 vaccine candidate – developed by Johnson & Johnson’s Belgian subsidiary Janssen – the Food and Drug Administration said today.

It comes after authorities said members of President Rodrigo Duterte’s security team had been given a Chinese-made vaccine that has not been approved for use in the country, sparking criticism the jabs were illegal and the recipients had jumped the queue.

Roque said the Sinopharm vaccine had been donated, but he did not say who provided it. – AFP, December 29, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen