World

Ten still missing after Norway mudslide buries homes

Tow of those unaccounted for are children, say officials

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Jan 2021 1:30PM

Ten still missing after Norway mudslide buries homes
The hillside in Ask, 25km northeast of the Norwegian capital Oslo collapsed overnight Tuesday, leading to the evacuation of around 1,000 people. – Norwegian Rescue Services pic, January 1, 2021

OSLO – Rescue workers were still searching for survivors after a landslide that destroyed homes in a Norwegian village, leaving 10 people missing, including two children.

An entire hillside collapsed in Ask, 25km northeast of the capital Oslo overnight Tuesday, leading to the evacuation of around 1,000 people.

Homes were buried under mud, others cut in two and some houses were left teetering over a crater caused by the slide, with several falling over the edge.

“It's very sad, absolutely indescribable. Terrible,” resident Markus Olsen told AFP at the bleak, snow-swept scene.

Toril Hofshagen, a Norwegian official involved in rescue operations, told NTB news agency that people had to be evacuated because conditions were unstable.

“There are cracks in the ground and clay is visible,” said Hofshagen, who is with the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE). 

The NVE said the disaster was a “quick clay slide” of approximately 300m by 800m.

Quick clay is a sort of clay found in Norway and Sweden that can collapse and turn to fluid when overstressed.

Yesterday rescue workers searched two homes which had collapsed, looking for missing people, but found nobody.

“The remainder of the homes in the area are completely destroyed,” chief of operations Roger Pettersen told a press conference.

He had said earlier “it is important for me to stress that we are looking for survivors,” adding better visibility during the day would help efforts. 

Police said 10 people had been injured including one seriously who was transferred to Oslo for treatment.

One-fifth of the 5,000 strong population of the municipality of Gjerdum that includes Ask have been evacuated.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg visited the village on Wednesday and described the landslide as “one of the largest” the country had seen. 

“It’s a dramatic experience to be here,” Solberg told reporters.

The municipality warned as many as 1,500 people could need to leave the region out of safety concerns.

The authorities had also issued an appeal to people not to set off fireworks for New Year’s celebrations, saying it could hinder the use of helicopters and drones equipped with thermal cameras. – AFP, January 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysia’s missile deal collapse exposes hidden risks in global arms trade

Opinion / 3mth

Norway harshly cancels NSM missile supply contract to Malaysia

Events / 6mth

MoU inked for greater climate resilience

Malaysia / 6mth

Penang: DID to conduct comprehensive review of beach erosion

Malaysia / 7mth

Do not turn a blind eye to environmental issues, cautions former minister

Living / 8mth

Water industry urged to adopt green practices to address climate changes

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran