World

Unacceptable, says EU of homeless migrants’ plight in Bosnia

Migrants find themselves in freezing conditions after camp destroyed in December 23 blaze

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Jan 2021 10:20AM

Unacceptable, says EU of homeless migrants’ plight in Bosnia
UN workers handing out aid at a migrant camp in Bosnia. A fire at the Lipa camp near the northwestern town of Bihac burned down last month, rendering hundreds of migrants homeless. – Twitter pic, January 3, 2021

SARAJEVO – The living conditions of hundreds of homeless migrants in Bosnia, bordering the European Union, are “completely unacceptable”, said EU envoy Johann Sattler yesterday.

The migrants have been left homeless in freezing and rainy conditions since their camp near the northwestern town of Bihac burned down last month.

“The situation is completely unacceptable,” said Sattler, the EU’s special representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

“The lives and basic human rights of many hundreds of people are seriously jeopardised,” he said after a meeting with Bosnian Security Minister Selmo Cikotic.

Fire engulfed the Lipa migrant centre in the country’s northwest on December 23 last year. There were no casualties from the blaze, but much of the site’s infrastructure was destroyed. 

The incident deepened the crisis over where to house thousands of migrants, as Bosnian authorities failed to find new accommodation for the newly homeless.

Police believe the blaze was started deliberately by migrants living there to protest the withdrawal of the United Nations International Organisation for Migration (IOM), which had been running the camp.

IOM had left complaining that the accommodation was not fit to house people during the winter months.

Opened in April, the Lipa camp had never been hooked up with electricity or running water.

Sattler met Cikotic along with the German, Italian and Austrian ambassadors, according to a statement released by the EU delegation here.

The aim of the meeting was “to discuss urgent solutions to the extremely concerning migration situation”.

Bosnia lies on the so-called Balkans route used since 2018 by tens of thousands of migrants heading towards Western Europe as they flee war and poverty in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

The country currently hosts some 8,500 migrants.

The European Commission, which finances the running of several migrant camps in Bosnia, has called for another centre in Bihac to be reopened, but local and regional officials oppose the idea.

That migrant centre, in an abandoned factory, was closed in October under pressure from locals.

In the hugely decentralised country, the government has also suggested that the centre, which could house 2,000 people, be reopened. However, it is not in a position to order local authorities to do so.

The UN’s human rights office earlier warned against the “unacceptable suffering” of the migrants from the Lipa camp, calling for an urgent solution to the issue.

In a bid to ease the migrant crisis, the government has deployed the army to set up tents at the site of the burned-down camp, but the migrants appear unwilling to use them, as they are unheated and without water.

In a sign of the growing protest, the migrants refused meals distributed on Friday and yesterday by the Red Cross and a local charity, a Red Cross official told FTV public television. – AFP, January 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

New pope favoured the continuity of Francis' reforms in the Catholic Church

Malaysia / 1y

Warisan Youth present fact sheets to challenge GRS on Sabah’s immigration records

Business / 2y

WTO rules against EU’s delegated act, deems it discriminatory towards M’sian palm oil biofuels

Malaysia / 2y

Digital registration of migrants in Sabah expanded to plantation sector

Malaysia / 2y

Sabah natives up in arms against alleged pro-migrant govt policies

World / 3y

EU may fine TikTok millions for violating children’s privacy

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war