World

Afghan peace talks resume as bloodshed continues

Afghan govt negotiators to push for permanent ceasefire and to protect existing system of governance

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Jan 2021 3:07PM

Afghan peace talks resume as bloodshed continues
The negotiations between the Afghan government and the Taliban follow a landmark troop withdrawal deal signed in February by the Taliban and Washington, which saw the United States pledge to pull out all foreign forces from Afghanistan by May 2021. – AFP pic, January 3, 2021

KABUL – A string of assassinations has sowed fear and chaos across Afghanistan as a fresh round of peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban begin in Qatar Tuesday. 

Months of deliberations between the two sides have yielded little so far, but both parties made something of a breakthrough last year when they finally agreed at least on what to discuss in the next round. 

Afghan government negotiators will push for a permanent ceasefire and to protect the existing system of governance, in place since the ouster of the Taliban in 2001 by a United States-led invasion in the wake of the September 11 attacks.

“The talks are going to be very complicated and time-consuming,” Ghulam Farooq Majroh, a government negotiator said.

“But we are hopeful to arrive at a result as soon as possible as people are tired of this bloody war.”

The Taliban did not offer any comment.

The first direct talks between the warring sides opened in September after months of delays, but quickly became bogged down by disputes on the basic framework of discussions and religious interpretations.

A concerted diplomatic effort from Washington finally led to a consensus.

The negotiations follow a landmark troop withdrawal deal signed in February by the Taliban and Washington, which saw the US pledge to pull out all foreign forces from Afghanistan by May 2021. – AFP, January 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

‘I am not tarnishing the country’s image, I am merely defending women’s rights’ says Guan Eng

Malaysia / 1y

Guan Eng demands explanation over MoE’s Taliban-led delegation visit

World / 3y

Last US soldier’s departure marks national holiday in Afghanistan

Motoring / 3y

‘Beautiful Corolla’: Afghanistan’s enduring love affair with Toyota

World / 3y

China doesn’t plan to recognise Afghanistan’s Taliban govt soon: special envoy

World / 3y

Taliban killed IS ‘mastermind’ behind Kabul airport blast: White House

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen