World

The row setting US’ Gulf allies at odds

3½-year feud between Qatar and Saudi-led alliance may finally near end, with leaders to meet on Tuesday

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Jan 2021 5:00PM

The row setting US’ Gulf allies at odds
On June 5, 2017, Qatar saw Saudi Arabia and its allies Bahrain, Egypt and the UAE abruptly cutting all air links, land crossings, direct shipping, and diplomatic ties with the state. – Pixabay pic, January 3, 2021

DOHA – A bitter feud between Qatar and a Saudi-led alliance may finally be nearing its end, as Gulf Arab leaders prepare to meet on Tuesday.

Here is a look back on the dispute that has divided the region for 3½ years, setting key Western allies at odds.

Ultimatum to Doha

On May 24, 2017, a statement attributed to Qatar’s ruler appears on the state news agency’s website, apparently endorsing Islamist movements and criticising United States President Donald Trump.

Qatar says the site has been hacked and that the statement is fake, but it is picked up and published by regional media.

On June 5, Saudi Arabia and its allies Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates abruptly cut all air links, land crossings, direct shipping, and diplomatic ties with their neighbour. 

A day later, Trump wades in and tweets that during his recent visit to the region, a number of Middle East leaders “pointed to Qatar” for allegedly supporting “radical ideology”.

Later that month, the Saudi-led coalition issues 13 sweeping demands, including the closure of the Doha-based Al Jazeera news network and the shuttering of a Turkish military base, in return for lifting their boycott. 

They also demand Doha curb its relations with Riyadh’s arch-rival, Iran.

Qatar rejects the demands, calling them “unrealistic” and “not actionable”.

The schism complicates regional travel, divides families, and raises costs faced by Qatari businesses.

The anti-Doha alliance doubles down, issuing in late July 2017 a list of 18 allegedly extremist individuals and entities, while demanding that Qatar take action against them. It later expands the list to 90 names.

Game of two halves

In August 2017, satellite channel beoutQ begins broadcasting events, including top-flight football, to Saudi audiences.

Qatar-based sporting broadcaster beIN accuses Saudi Arabia of pirating its production.

Throughout 2018, Qatar and the UAE trade accusations over access to airspace, in a row that ends up at the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

The following year sees the UAE hosting the Asian Cup football tournament. Qatar wins, but the stands are empty of the country’s fans, who have been barred from entering the UAE. One British attendee wearing Qatari colours is arrested.

Trump strikes a more conciliatory tone when Qatar’s ruler, Emir Sheikh Tamim Hamad Al-Thani, visits Washington in April 2019, calling him “a friend”.

Back on the football field, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain reverse a decision to boycott a regional tournament in Qatar, with Bahrain going on to lift the trophy on December 8, 2019.

Just two years before, the same nations had refused to play another edition of the tournament in Qatar until it was moved to neutral Kuwait, so the teams’ presence raises hopes of imminent reconciliation.

As the tournament gets under way, Qatar’s foreign minister says there has been “some progress” in talks with Saudi Arabia.

More details emerge of mediation efforts by neutral Gulf nations Kuwait and Oman.

‘Doubts’ over GCC

But in December 2019, Qatar’s emir declines an invitation by Saudi Arabia to attend a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit in Riyadh, instead sending then prime minister Abdullah Nasser Khalifa Al-Thani.

In February last year, Qatar’s foreign minister reveals that talks with Saudi Arabia were suspended a month earlier, but says Doha “remains open if there are any benign efforts to resolve the issue”.

In the weeks leading up to the anniversary of the rift, a flurry of posts aimed at Qatar surface on social media, including claims it is considering quitting GCC.

On May 28, Qatar’s Foreign Ministry denies the claims to AFP, but warns that the people of the region are “doubting” the bloc because of its failure to remedy the diplomatic crisis.

Setbacks for Saudi camp

On June 16, a World Trade Organisation panel rules that Riyadh failed to protect the intellectual property rights of Qatari broadcaster beIN by refusing to take action against pirate outfit beoutQ.

On July 14, the United Nations top court, ICJ, finds in favour of Qatar in its complaint against the air blockade imposed by Saudi Arabia and its allies.

New talk of deal

On December 4, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal Farhan Al-Saud says a “final agreement looks in reach”.

Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed Abdulrahman Al-Thani says “there are some movements that we hope will put an end (to) this crisis”.

On December 30, GCC announces that King Salman has invited the Qatari emir to its summit in Riyadh on January 5 this year. – AFP, January 3, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

Events / 1mth

Penang taps Middle East medical tourism market

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia's oil supply still sufficient - Amir Hamzah

Business / 2mth

Time for banks to step up and do their part, stresses former finance minister

Malaysia / 2mth

RON95 remains at RM1.99, diesel supply stable until July - PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest