World

England imposes 6-week lockdown after Covid-19 surge

UK’s top doctors warn spread of new strain may win

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Jan 2021 7:00AM

England imposes 6-week lockdown after Covid-19 surge
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says Britain is leading the way with the introduction of two vaccines, despite England facing yet another lockdown. – Twitter pic, January 5, 2021

LONDON – Prime Minister Boris Johnson yesterday announced a six-week lockdown for England’s 56 million people, including the closure of schools, after a surge in coronavirus cases brought warnings that hospitals could soon face collapse.

Johnson stressed that Britain was leading the way with the introduction of two vaccines, including one from Oxford University and AstraZeneca, which started its roll-out yesterday.

In a nationally televised address, he said all priority groups should get their jabs by mid-February, insisting that “we are tilting the odds against Covid-19 and in favour of the British people”.

“But for now, I am afraid we must once again stay at home, protect the NHS (National Health Service) and save lives.”

He added that the lockdown will take effect early tomorrow and remain in place until mid-February.

The prime minister had been under pressure from scientists, opposition parties and the United Kingdom’s devolved nations to act more decisively. Earlier in the day, Scotland said it will lock down again for the rest of the month.

In a race between the inoculation campaign and Covid-19, the spread of a new variant strain of the virus is threatening to win, the UK’s chief medical officers warned as they elevated a national alert level to the maximum five.

On Britain’s emergency alert scale, that signals a risk of health care services being overwhelmed within 21 days without urgent action.

Exams and flights

The new lockdown announced by Johnson emulates the first national curbs in place from March to June, and goes further than another instituted in November, when schools were allowed to stay open.

The government conceded that the decision means summer exams are unlikely to go ahead, bringing months of uncertainty for millions of families, including those of pupils hoping to head on to university.

But unlike the first lockdown last spring, elite sports, including Premier League football, will continue.

The first time around, Britain kept its borders open to international travel. But the government said it is now reviewing whether to take action on inbound flights, after another new strain emerged in South Africa.

Officials underlined the severity of the spread now compared with last spring, owing to the variant which emerged in southeast England.

Hospital admissions are now 40% higher than the spring peak reached on April 12. Yesterday, there were 26,626 Covid-19 patients in hospital in England – an increase of more than 30% on the same day a week before.

“We are not confident that the NHS can handle a further sustained rise in cases, and without further action, there is a material risk of the NHS in several areas being overwhelmed,” the medical officers said. – AFP, January 5, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3h

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

World / 2mth

Trump's health: Weighs 108kg, heart age 14 years younger, hands bruised from frequent handshakes – Doctor

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Government’s RM5.7 billion spending cut a bold move to curb waste, says PKR leader

Malaysia / 3mth

Funding cutbacks may jeopardise public health, education, safety and crime prevention needs – Guan Eng

Community / 5mth

Only 6 months after cleaning, senior citizens' 'treasures' pile up again

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month