World

WHO urges rich countries to stop jumping vaccine queue

While 50% of high-income countries are vaccinating, 0% of low-income countries are, says organisation's Covax lead

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Jan 2021 8:00AM

WHO urges rich countries to stop jumping vaccine queue
The WHO is calling on states that have booked excess vaccine doses to free them up for the globally shared Covax programme. – Dubai Media Office pic, January 9, 2021

GENEVA – The World Health Organisation yesterday urged rich countries to stop jumping the queue and cutting their own deals with manufacturers to hog the first wave of Covid-19 vaccines.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that right from the outset, wealthier nations had snapped up most of the supply of multiple vaccine products – potentially bumping up the price for everyone else battling the coronavirus pandemic.

He called on states that have booked excess vaccine doses to free them up for the globally shared Covax programme, which aims to distribute vaccines equitably around the world, regardless of wealth.

"There's a clear problem that low- and most middle-income countries are not receiving the vaccine yet," Tedros told a virtual news conference from WHO's headquarters here.

"At the outset, rich countries have bought up the majority of the supply of multiple vaccines."

Tedros said 42 countries had started rolling out their Covid-19 vaccination programme – 36 high-income nations and six middle-income states.

"I urge countries that have contracted more vaccines than they will need, and are controlling the global supply, to also donate and release them to Covax immediately, which is ready today to roll out quickly," he said.

"And, I urge countries and manufacturers to stop making bilateral deals at the expense of Covax.

"No country is exceptional and should cut the queue and vaccinate all their population, while some remain with no supply of the vaccine."

Covax agreements

Covax, the WHO co-led globally-pooled vaccine procurement and distribution effort, has struck agreements for two billion vaccine doses.

It aims to secure vaccines for 20% of the population in each participating country by the end of the year, with funding covered for the 92 lower- and lower-middle income economies involved in the scheme.

The facility is awaiting delivery on contracts for two billion doses of vaccines and has first refusal on another billion.

Bruce Aylward, the WHO lead on Covax, said the vaccine distribution so far had left vulnerable older people and front-line health workers in poorer countries more exposed to the virus.

"They are not being protected at the same rates," he said.

"A total of 50% of high-income countries in the world are vaccinating today. A total of 0% of low-income countries are vaccinating. That is not equitable."

China mission access unresolved 

The novel coronavirus has killed nearly 1.9 million people and more than 88 million cases have been recorded since the outbreak emerged in Wuhan, China in December 2019, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP.

These figures are based on daily tolls provided by health authorities in each country and exclude later re-evaluations by statistical organisations.

A 10-member expert mission to China was meant to arrive this week to visit Wuhan and investigate the origins of the pandemic. 

However, with some team members on their way, Beijing suddenly told the WHO that the experts' permission to enter the country had not been finalised.

"We are in touch with Chinese officials and they agreed to share with us the specific dates for the travel in the next few days." Tedros said.

"We are also advised that the visa and other needs are on their way.

"But we expect to fix travel dates next week." – AFP, January 9, 2021

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest