World

Southern England readies temporary mortuaries due to Covid-19 surge

Funeral homes, hospitals overcrowded with deaths following spike in cases due to new virus variant

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Jan 2021 8:00AM

Southern England readies temporary mortuaries due to Covid-19 surge
The new Covid-19 variant first found in the United Kingdom has sent case numbers soaring in the country, inundating its health facilities and putting stress on funeral and death management bodies. – AFP pic, January 12, 2021

EPSOM – A temporary mortuary in the south of England has started receiving bodies from overflowing hospitals, and authorities in London are preparing a similar facility as the area grapples with a surge in coronavirus deaths.

Britain is grappling with a new Covid-19 variant that has seen cases soar to record highs. On Friday, 1,325 deaths were registered over a 24-hour period – the most since the start of the crisis.

The surge in fatalities and cases has placed acute pressure on hospitals, their mortuaries and the funeral industry.

The new strain, which is believed to be up to 70% more transmissible, was first identified in the south of England.

In the county of Surrey, the local council said 170 bodies, more than half of which had been Covid-19 fatalities, are being held at a temporary morgue near the town of Epsom after hospital capacity was overwhelmed.

A spokesman with Surrey’s Local Resilience Forum, created to coordinate the authority’s response to the pandemic, said the county would be left in “real difficulty” if the 1,400-capacity at the temporary morgues is exceeded in the coming weeks.

When the mortuary at the defence rehabilitation centre at Headley Court was opened in March last year, it had 700 bodies pass through it over 12 weeks until May.

“Since December 21, after just two-and-a-half weeks, it has had 300 bodies go through it,” the spokesman said.

In London, health authorities have said in some areas that as many as one in 20 people currently have the coronavirus – well above a national average of one in 50.

Preparations have begun on a new temporary mortuary near Breakspear Crematorium in northwest London to “supplement existing capacity” a local government spokesman told AFP.

The makeshift facility has not been brought into action.

Other temporary morgues, erected at the start of the pandemic, have not been required during this second wave, he added. 

“Mortuaries across London are coping and cooperating to relieve localised pressures, and funerals are continuing to be held across the capital,” the spokesman said.  

Massive influx

Deborah Smith, a spokesman for the National Funeral Directors Association, told AFP that discussions about the need for the further use of temporary morgues was ongoing across the whole of the UK.

She said three pressures – the spike in Covid-19 cases, the normally higher rates of mortality in the winter months generally, and the likelihood of illnesses amongst funeral staff – could all potentially limit the industry’s capacity to deal with the deaths.

That would have a further knock-on effect on mortuaries, she added.

“The numbers are higher, the sense of unknown is greater,” Smith explained. 

“We don’t know for how long the numbers will keep building before they fall again.”

Siraj Qazi is the manager of Ghousia Funeral Service, a mortuary serving the Muslim community in and around the town of Luton 20 miles (32km) north of London.

He said that in the last month, the number of deaths in the community has started to increase. Over two weeks, he said there had been a “massive influx”.

“We are doing funerals daily and the deaths we are dealing with now are predominantly related to Covid-19,” Qazi said.

Levels are similar to those seen during the March and April peak of the first wave last year when his firm was almost overwhelmed.

“I think we’re going have to keep an eye on things and see how it goes in the next two weeks or so,” he added.

Britain on Saturday said it has recorded over three million coronavirus cases since the pandemic began last year.

The full death toll now stands at more than 80,000, one of the highest in Europe alongside Italy. – AFP, January 12, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt