World

Biden inauguration: worries abound as Homeland Security chief quits

Pentagon authorises deployment of 15,000 National Guard troops for inauguration

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Jan 2021 11:00AM

Biden inauguration: worries abound as Homeland Security chief quits
Washington mayor Muriel Bowser has urged president-elect Joe Biden’s supporters to not attend the quadrennial inauguration so as to prevent a recurrence of last Wednesday’s attack on the Capitol. – Pixabay pic, January 21, 2021

WASHINGTON – US Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf announced his resignation unexpectedly yesterday as worries rose over more violence during president-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration next week.

Wolf’s departure as head of the body in charge of security for the January 20 event comes five days after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the US Capitol hoping to prevent Biden from replacing him.

The Homeland Security Department oversees several law enforcement bodies, including the Secret Service, the point agency for security for the White House and the US president.

Wolf, who said he was stepping down for procedural reasons, named Pete Gaynor, the administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to replace him.

But the move did not end questions over whether the US capital city would be adequately secure over the coming week.

An internal FBI document warned of the possibility that armed Trump supporters could hold protests in all 50 states between the coming weekend and January 20, according to US media.

Federal and city officials continue to point fingers over who was responsible for the debacle at the Capitol last Wednesday, when the Congressional police force was overwhelmed by thousands of Trump supporters who succeeded in shutting down the legislature.

More troops called up

The Pentagon said yesterday it has authorised 15,000 National Guard troops to be deployed for Biden’s inauguration.

Already 6,200 are on the ground in Washington, and a total of 10,000 are planned by the coming weekend, said the Defense Department’s National Guard Bureau chief Daniel Hokanson.

Another 5,000 could be deployed by the day of the inauguration, he said.

They will come equipped with riot gear and weapons, but so far they have not been authorised to arm themselves while on the streets of the US capital, he said.

Before he announced his departure, Wolf also ordered an acceleration of preparations by the Secret Service, citing “events of the past week and the evolving security landscape”.

Preparations for the event are moving quickly. A security fence has been built around the entire grounds of the Capitol, where Biden will take the oath of office as Trump’s successor.

‘Don’t come’

Still angry about last Wednesday’s violence, in which five people died, including a protestor shot dead by police and a police officer, who was attacked, dying from injuries, Washington mayor Muriel Bowser appealed to Biden backers to stay away from the US capital on inauguration day.

Normally hundreds of thousands of Americans, and sometimes more than a million, flock to Washington for the quadrennial event.

“We are asking Americans not to come to Washington, DC for the 59th presidential inauguration on January 20 and to instead participate virtually,” she said.

Organisers said the Democratic president-elect would use the occasion to foster national unity, faced by a country deeply divided over politics and hobbled by the coronavirus pandemic.

He will be sworn in at the Capitol in front of the National Mall filled with flags rather than the usual hundreds of thousands of spectators.

Afterwards, he and three former US presidents – Trump won’t attend – will travel to Arlington National Cemetery, where thousands of US military war veterans are buried, to lay a wreath.

But the preparations came as Democrats, accusing Trump of fomenting and applauding what they branded an “insurrection” and “coup” attempt last week, seek to force Trump from office prematurely.

That could further spark violence by Trump supporters, the Federal Bureau of Investigation warns in a new internal advisory.

According to US media, the document says that far-right groups like the violent Boogaloo Boys are planning protests around the country timed to the inauguration.

One group, the FBI said, “warned that if Congress attempts to remove POTUS (Trump) via the 25th Amendment, a huge uprising will occur,” ABC News reported. – AFP, January 12, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war