World

Belgian cafe owner holds sleep-in to protest virus shutdown

Christelle Carion protests to draw attention to plight of bar and restaurant sector

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Jan 2021 6:02PM

Belgian cafe owner holds sleep-in to protest virus shutdown
Christelle Carion has been holed up in the closed Amon Nos Autes cafe in the eastern village of Pepinster since Tuesday, to draw attention to the ordeal that she and other owners in Belgium’s bar and restaurant sector are going through. – AFP pic, January 16, 2021

PEPINSTER – A fed-up cafe owner in Belgium is sleeping in her premises with little food, in protest at the months-long shutdown of her sector to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“To remain like this, without working, losing everything – every day to see you’re losing a little bit more – it’s hard,” Christelle Carion said as she sat on the edge of her bed, set up beside the bar.

The 48-year-old has been holed up in the closed Amon Nos Autes cafe in the eastern village of Pepinster since Tuesday, to draw attention to the ordeal that she and other owners in Belgium’s bar and restaurant sector are going through.

They have been ordered shut since October 19 to counter the second coronavirus wave sweeping Europe, after having been closed for three months for the first wave in early 2020.

From the start of the pandemic until now, Belgium has gone from being one of the worst-hit countries in the world – with one of the highest per capita Covid-19 mortality rates – to being among the few EU countries to get a grip on curbing infections.  

But Carion – known in her village by her nickname “Betchette”, which adorns the cafe she took over 12 years ago – said she was seeing possible dates for reopening repeatedly being pushed back, fuelling her desperation.

“Already at the beginning of the second lockdown I had it in mind to show the rage that it’s the restaurants and cafes that are always first to get it,” she said.

“A time comes that this just has to stop.”

She was refusing solid food, getting by on soup, coffee and cigarettes. She hopes that the protest from her army cot, donated by a friend on her second day, will be heard by politicians.

Although the government is providing financial aid to bars, cafes and hotels – 2,700 euros (RM13,162) a month in the case of Carion, before tax – that is not enough for many to survive. 

Around 40% of hospitality establishments were already on the brink of bankruptcy following the first lockdown, according to a survey last year by the Foodservice Alliance.

“A village or a town without a cafe, without a restaurant, without a hairdresser’s, without a gym, without kids being able to exercise – it’s a dead village or town,” she said. 

With the current shutdown being extended time and again, Carion speaks for many in her sector when she says her recurring nightmare in her cafe is “that you wake up and that you have nothing left”.

“You don't work for 12 years just to lose everything you have,” she said, with tears in her eyes.

But her sunny disposition reasserted itself as she spoke of the dozens of friends – and customers who have become friends – who walk by her cafe to wave or exchange a few words of support.

Olivier Bigonville, who frequented Carion’s bar on weekends for years with his friends, ducked in to “say hi and to raise her spirits a bit – that’s the least we can do”.

“What she’s doing is great,” he added. “It’s high time she should be able to work again, to have a decent life like everyone. It's serious, what the hospitality sector is going through.”

Another friendly face, Viviane Debraz, was direct in her encouragement for Carion.

“I don’t think there are a lot of people who would have – pardon the language – the balls to do what she’s doing.” – AFP, January 16, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren