World

Taliban praise continued US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan

This comes after Pentagon announces troop levels reduced to 2,500

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Jan 2021 8:05PM

Taliban praise continued US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan
Peace talks with Kabul are ongoing, but have stalled amid violence and allegations of slow progress. – AFP pic, January 16, 2021

KABUL – The Taliban welcomed the latest withdrawal of United States troops from Afghanistan with the insurgents’ spokesman calling the continued reduction of American forces a “good advancement” on Saturday, even as fighting raged across the war-weary country. 

The Taliban’s statement came just hours after the Pentagon announced it had cut troop levels in Afghanistan to 2,500, their lowest numbers during the nearly two decades of fighting.

Washington struck a deal with the Taliban in Qatar last year to begin withdrawing its troops in return for security guarantees from the militants and a commitment to peace talks with Kabul.

Those talks are ongoing, but have stalled amid violence and allegations of slow progress. 

Meanwhile the Taliban has continued its lethal assaults on Afghan security forces and civilians alike.

“The withdrawal of other US forces from Afghanistan, which was announced by the US yesterday, is a good advancement and practical measure,” tweeted Taliban spokesman Mohammad Naeem. 

“Undoubtedly, the practice of the agreement signed between the IEA and the US is in the benefit of both countries and nations,” he added, referring to the Taliban’s official acronym.

Outgoing President Donald Trump, seeking to fulfil a campaign promise to end the US wars launched in Afghanistan and Iraq after the 9/11 attacks, had ordered force levels to be slashed in both countries to that level by yesterday – despite initial pushback from the Pentagon.

Both the Taliban and Afghan government however are anxiously eyeing the arrival of President-elect Joe Biden in Washington and any new policy directions that might be implemented by the incoming administration.

The US invaded Afghanistan on October 7, 2001, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. The Taliban regime then in place had hosted Al-Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.

The regime was quickly toppled but launched an insurgency and in recent years have seen a resurgence, with violence soaring across the country since Nato withdrew its combat forces in 2014 and civilians paying a disproportionate price.

Earlier on Saturday, Afghan officials said two Taliban fighters had infiltrated a base of pro-government Afghan militiamen in western Herat province, killing 12 security forces. 

And in a separate incident, a vehicle carrying police was struck by a roadside bomb in the Afghan capital Kabul, which killed two policemen and wounded one other. – AFP, January 16, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

‘I am not tarnishing the country’s image, I am merely defending women’s rights’ says Guan Eng

Malaysia / 1y

Guan Eng demands explanation over MoE’s Taliban-led delegation visit

World / 3y

Last US soldier’s departure marks national holiday in Afghanistan

Motoring / 3y

‘Beautiful Corolla’: Afghanistan’s enduring love affair with Toyota

World / 3y

China doesn’t plan to recognise Afghanistan’s Taliban govt soon: special envoy

World / 3y

Taliban killed IS ‘mastermind’ behind Kabul airport blast: White House

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran