World

‘Arson’ destroys 4 Unicef schools in Rohingya camps

Incident comes following blaze week prior that burnt down hundreds of bamboo shacks

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Jan 2021 8:30PM

‘Arson’ destroys 4 Unicef schools in Rohingya camps
While Bangladesh’s refugee commissioner Razwan Hayat believes the latest fire wasn’t a case of arson, Unicef said on Twitter that it was started deliberately. – Dhaka Ahsania Mission pic, January 19, 2021

COX’S BAZAR – Four Unicef schools for Rohingya children in refugee camps in Bangladesh have been destroyed in a fire, officials said Tuesday, with the UN children’s agency calling it arson.

It was unclear who might attack the schools, which were empty at the time, but the security situation in the camps housing around a million people has worsened in recent months.

Last week, a blaze thought to have been started by a gas stove burned down hundreds of bamboo shacks in one of the camps, leaving thousands of the refugees originally from Myanmar homeless.

Razwan Hayat, Bangladesh’s refugee commissioner, told AFP that he believed the latest fire wasn’t started deliberately and said that the schools were made of flimsy, flammable materials.

“We are investigating. But we think it is an accident. These centres are not permanent structures,” he said.

However, Unicef said on Twitter that the incident was arson and that it was “working with partners to assess the damages of the attack and speed up the process of rebuilding these learning centres”.

Unicef runs about 2,500 learning centres in the 34 refugee camps in Bangladesh’s southeastern border district of Cox’s Bazar. Some 240,000 Rohingya children studied in them before the pandemic.

They have been closed for months because of measures to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus but are expected to open again from next month, aid workers say.

The Rohingya are largely conservative, with many opposing the education of girls.

Those living in the camps include around 750,000 Rohingya who fled a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar in 2017, which the UN has likened to ethnic cleansing.

There is little prospect of them returning to Myanmar, leading to tension with the local population and prompting many to attempt treacherous sea journeys to Malaysia and Indonesia.

Recent months have seen clashes between groups, including the militant Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army, leaving seven dead and many houses torched. – AFP, January 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Subang Airport temporarily closed after helicopter fire

Malaysia / 1w

Helicopter catches fire at Subang Airport

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3w

Penang calls on UNHCR to ensure welfare of Rohingya community

Malaysia / 1mth

When ‘safety’ becomes a cover for xenophobia

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt