World

3 dead after gas blast in Madrid

Officials say the blast occurred as a team of workmen were repairing the building’s boiler

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Jan 2021 7:30AM

3 dead after gas blast in Madrid
The residential building in the heart of Madrid’s La Latina neighbourhood which saw its top four or five storeys completely blown out by and gas blast, which killed at least 3 and injured 11 others. – AFP pic, January 21, 2021

MADRID – At least 3 people were killed yesterday when a huge explosion ripped through a building in Madrid, with officials confirming it was caused by a gas leak. 

Images from the scene showed the walls on the top four or five storeys of the residential building in the heart of the La Latina neighbourhood had been blown out, with vast quantities of debris spreading far and wide. 

Government representative Jose Manuel Franco told Spain’s public television that the blast occurred as a team of workmen were repairing the building’s boiler.

Speaking at the scene, mayor Jose Luis Martinez-Almeida said an 85-year-old woman had died along with a man whose age was not immediately clear, while the third victim was still “under the rubble”.

Bulgaria’s foreign ministry announced later a 47-year-old Bulgarian man was among those killed. 

Another 11 people were injured, one of whom was in serious condition. Church sources told AFP it was a recently-ordained priest. 

Despite the force of the blast, no one was hurt in the elderly care home next door, nor in an adjacent school where tonnes of rubble fell into the playground while the children were in lessons, city officials said. 

Yesterday was the first day that schools reopened after a nine-day closure due to the heaviest snowfall in Madrid in 50 years.

“This could have been a massive tragedy,” said Martinez-Almeida.  

Along the street, at least 15 cars were badly damaged by the force of the explosion, which gutted most of the six-storey residential building.

Franco confirmed it was a “gas explosion” and said there were three dead and one missing, indicating the toll could rise further.

Hundreds of police and rescuers filled the streets around the building, which the archdiocese said housed local priests who worked in the area. 

Three hours after the explosion occurred, smoke and flames could still be seen emerging from the building as a police helicopter flew overhead, an AFP correspondent said. – AFP, January 21, 2021

Related News

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Student still in coma

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Victim was UTAR student undergoing industrial training

Malaysia / 10mth

22 people injured in firecracker explosion in Kulim

Malaysia / 1y

Putra Heights gas pipe explosion: Repair, reconstruction work between 22 – 24 per cent, says MB

Food / 3y

Have a taste of the Mediterranean delivered to your home

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month