World

French Muslim groups deal blow to Macron’s anti-extremism charter

They say some statements prejudicial, with an accusatory and marginalising tone

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Jan 2021 12:39PM

French Muslim groups deal blow to Macron’s anti-extremism charter
President Emmanuel Macron says the charter offers clarification of how the Muslim community is organised in France. – Twitter pic, January 21, 2021

PARIS – Three Muslim groups refused yesterday to back an anti-extremism charter pushed by French officials following a spate of jihadist-inspired attacks, dealing a blow to a flagship initiative of President Emmanuel Macron's government.

The charter rejects "instrumentalising" Islam for political ends and affirms equality between men and women, while denouncing practices such as female circumcisions, forced marriages or "virginity certificates" for brides.

French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM), a body set up almost 20 years ago to enable dialogue between the government and the Muslim community, broadly welcomed the charter and five of its eight federations signed on Sunday.

However, the other three groups said yesterday they could not join their colleagues.

"We believe that certain passages and formulations in the text submitted are likely to weaken the bonds of trust between the Muslims of France and the nation," the three groups said in a statement.

"Furthermore, some statements are prejudicial to the honour of Muslims, with an accusatory and marginalising tone."

Macron had railed against the promotion of "political Islam" in France in November last year after a teacher was beheaded outside his school.

He had shown pupils cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad as part of a free-speech lesson.

The attack prompted a crackdown against extremist mosques and Islamist associations, along with a vigorous defence of French secularism.

Macron said this week that the charter offered "a clarification of how the Muslim community is organised".

It will also provide a framework for a new National Council of Imams that will be responsible for vetting imams practising in the country.

The three groups – two of which are Franco-Turkish organisations and the other which describes itself as a teaching and cultural group – said they would be willing to sign up only after a "broad, democratic and participatory consultation".

"In order to adopt this charter, we must recognise ourselves in its content. It would not be useful to sign a text that our community cannot serenely accept," they wrote.

A government source said the groups' refusal would not weaken the process, adding that "the masks are coming off".

"An important clarification is being made," the source said.

"We see who is capable or not of signing a charter that simply recalls the values of the Republic and in particular the values of liberty and freedom of conscience." – AFP, January 21, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Hansard Digital System: Anwar’s favourite word is ‘billion’ and Hadi’s is ‘Islam’

Opinion / 1mth

Amri Che Mat case, recent raids reignite debate over treatment of Malaysia’s Shia community

Malaysia / 2mth

Softening PAS’s hardline image an uphill task, says analyst

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation