World

Hong Kong orders thousands to stay home in 2-day lockdown

Authorities battling outbreak in one of its poorest and most densely packed districts

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Jan 2021 4:00PM

Hong Kong orders thousands to stay home in 2-day lockdown
On paper, Hong Kong is one of the richest cities in the world, but it suffers from pervasive inequality, an acute housing shortage and eye-watering rents that successive governments have failed to solve.

HONG KONG – Thousands of Hong Kongers were ordered to stay in their homes today for the city's first coronavirus lockdown as authorities battle an outbreak in one of its poorest and most densely packed districts.

The order bans about 10,000 people living inside multiple housing blocks within the neighbourhood of Jordan from leaving their apartment unless they can show a negative test.

Officials said they planned to test everyone inside the designated zone within 48 hours "in order to achieve the goal of zero cases in the district".

"Residents will have to stay at their premises to avoid cross-infection until they get their test results," Health Minister Sophia Chan told reporters today.

The South China Morning Post said the measures covered about 150 housing blocks, with hundreds of police on standby to enforce the lockdown.

Hong Kong was one of the first places to be struck by the coronavirus after it burst out of central China.

It has kept infections under 10,000 with some 170 deaths by imposing effective but economically punishing social-distancing measures for much of the last year.

Over the last two months, the city has been hit by a fourth wave of infections, with authorities struggling to bring the daily numbers down.

Stubborn clusters have emerged in low-income neighbourhoods notorious for some of the world's most cramped housing in the district of Yau Tsim Mong.

Inequality and housing shortages 

On paper, Hong Kong is one of the richest cities in the world. 

But it suffers from pervasive inequality, an acute housing shortage and eye-watering rents that successive governments have failed to solve.

The average flat in Hong Kong is about 46 sq m. 

But many squeeze themselves into even smaller subdivided flats – cubicles that can be as tiny as 50 sq ft or even less, with shared bathrooms and showers inside aging walk-up buildings.

It is these kinds of buildings where clusters have been located in recent weeks, prompting the first lockdown order.

In recent days, health officials began carrying out mandatory testing in about 70 buildings in the area but the government has now decided to test everyone.

The lockdown has created considerable confusion for residents. 

The impending restrictions were leaked to the city's local media yesterday but there was no official statement from the government until this morning, once the lockdown had come in overnight.

Some media reported seeing residents leave the area ahead of the midnight deadline while others said locals were frustrated by the lack of clear information.  

The area is also home to many ethnic minorities, mainly South Asian Hong Kongers, a community that often faces discrimination and poverty.

Earlier in the week, a senior health official sparked anger when he suggested ethnic minority residents might be spreading the virus more readily because "they like to share food, smoke, drink alcohol and chat together".

Critics countered that poverty and a lack of affordable housing forcing people to live in cramped conditions were to blame for the virus spreading more easily in those districts – not race or culture.

The health official's remarks also came as a video of predominantly white migrants dancing at a packed brunch on the more affluent Hong Kong Island sparked anger but no similar admonition from officials. – AFP, January 23, 2021

Related News

Events / 6d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Events / 8mth

Penang International Dragon Boat participants remember their fallen brothers in Hong Kong

Malaysia / 8mth

'Rest easy, Wai Ho' - Malaysian firefighters pay tribute to their fallen comrade

Trending / 8mth

'My superhero': Girlfriend mourns death of boyfriend firefighter in Hong Kong blaze

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month