World

Biden administration to review US-Taliban withdrawal deal

Violence across Afghanistan has surged despite the two sides engaging in talks

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Jan 2021 6:00PM

Biden administration to review US-Taliban withdrawal deal
Deadly attacks and high-profile assassinations have increased in recent months, particularly in Kabul, where several journalists, activists, judges and politicians have been murdered in brazen daylight attacks. – AFP pic, January 23, 2021

WASHINGTON – The Biden administration said today it will review a landmark US deal with the Taliban, focusing on whether the insurgent group has reduced attacks in Afghanistan, in keeping with its side of the agreement.

Washington struck a deal with the Taliban in Qatar last year, to begin withdrawing its troops in return for security guarantees from the militants and a commitment to kickstart peace talks with the Afghan government.

But violence across Afghanistan has surged despite the two sides engaging in those talks since September.

President Joe Biden's newly appointed national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, spoke with his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib and "made clear the United States' intention to review" the deal, National Security Council spokesman Emily Horne said.

Specifically, Washington wants to check that the Taliban is "living up to its commitments to cut ties with terrorist groups, to reduce violence in Afghanistan, and to engage in meaningful negotiations with the Afghan government and other stakeholders", her statement continued.

It added that Sullivan "underscored that the US will support the peace process with a robust and regional diplomatic effort, which will aim to help the two sides achieve a durable and just political settlement and permanent ceasefire".

Sullivan also discussed the US' support for protecting recent progress made on women and minority groups' rights as part of the peace process. 

The move was met with a sigh of relief from officials in Kabul after months of speculation over how the new administration would potentially recalibrate its Afghan policy. 

Mohib, the Afghan national security adviser, tweeted that during the call the two sides "agreed to work toward a permanent ceasefire and a just and durable peace" in the country. 

Another top Afghan government official lambasted the Taliban's failure to live up to the February 2020 deal, saying the agreement had failed to achieve its stated goals.

"The agreement so far, did not deliver a desired goal of ending Taliban's violence and bringing a ceasefire desired by the Afghans," Sediq Sediqqi, deputy interior minister and former spokesman to President Ashraf Ghani said on Twitter.

"The Taliban did not live up to its commitments."

Deadly attacks and high-profile assassinations have increased in recent months, particularly in Kabul, where several journalists, activists, judges and politicians have been murdered in brazen daylight attacks.

The Taliban have denied responsibility for these killings, but Afghan and US officials have blamed the group for the murders.

On Tuesday, Biden's nominee for secretary of state, Antony Blinken, told his Senate confirmation hearing that "we want to end this so-called forever war". – AFP, January 23, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 1y

‘I am not tarnishing the country’s image, I am merely defending women’s rights’ says Guan Eng

Malaysia / 1y

Guan Eng demands explanation over MoE’s Taliban-led delegation visit

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest