World

Oslo tightens virus curbs after finding UK strain

Measures to remain in force until at least January 31 following the detection of British Covid-19 variant

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Jan 2021 11:00PM

Oslo tightens virus curbs after finding UK strain
‘We are putting in place the strictest measures since last March in at least 10 districts’, says Norway's Health Minister Bent Hoie. – Twitter pic, January 23, 2021

OSLO – The Norwegian government announced a crackdown in the capital region today with the strictest restrictions since last March after the discovery of the British coronavirus variant in a retirement home.

Only essential shops can remain open and municipalities will be allowed to close primary schools and put secondaries on remote learning.

People are being asked to restrict movements and not to eat meals outside their family.

“We are putting in place the strictest measures since last March in 10 districts,” said Health Minister Bent Hoie.

“In some places we are going even further than in March,” he told a press conference, adding that it will make “daily life difficult for many”.

All public events, indoors and outdoors, are cancelled apart from burials. Restaurants will be limited to takeaway services.

The measures will remain in force until at least January 31 following the detection of the British variant in a home at Nordre Follo, 30 kilometres (18 miles) from Oslo.

Two pensioners at the home, aged over 90, were found to have died with the variant, the public health institute said on Friday.

A total of 22 employees and 12 retirees have been found to have coronavirus at the home but it has yet to be established if they have the variant.

The authorities have so far been unable to trace the origin of the cluster or a link with Britain.

“We are doing what we can to stop this with strong measures in order to regain control quickly and lift the toughest measures,” the minister said.

The virus strain that has swept Britain and beyond could be more deadly as well as more transmissible, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Friday.

The strain has also spread to more than 60 nations – including China, where the pandemic began more than a year ago.  – AFP, January 23, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysia’s missile deal collapse exposes hidden risks in global arms trade

Opinion / 3mth

Norway harshly cancels NSM missile supply contract to Malaysia

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 10mth

Kuala Lumpur under full lockdown in conjunction with 47th ASEAN Summit

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations