World

Wuhan next of kin say China silencing them as WHO visits

WeChat group used by family members suddenly deleted without explanation

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Jan 2021 9:20PM

Wuhan next of kin say China silencing them as WHO visits
Scores of relatives of Covid-19 victims in Wuhan blame the authorities for mishandling the outbreak that tore through the city one year ago. – AFP pic, January 27, 2021

WUHAN – Relatives of Wuhan's coronavirus dead today said Chinese authorities have deleted their social media group and are pressuring them to keep quiet while a World Health Organisation team is in the city to investigate the pandemic's origins.

Scores of relatives have banded together online in a shared quest for accountability from officials here, who they blame for mishandling the outbreak that tore through the city one year ago.

The effort has thus far been thwarted by official obstruction, monitoring of social media groups and intimidation, say next of kin.

But pressure has escalated in recent days, apparently to muzzle any criticism and avoid embarrassment during the highly sensitive WHO investigation.

A group on social media platform WeChat used by 80 to 100 family members over the past year was suddenly deleted without explanation about 10 days ago, said Zhang Hai, a group member and a vocal critic of the outbreak's handling.

"This shows that (Chinese authorities) are very nervous. They are afraid that these families will get in touch with the WHO experts," said Zhang, 51, whose father died early in the pandemic of suspected Covid-19.

The WHO experts arrived in Wuhan on January 14 and are due to emerge from a 14-day quarantine tomorrow.

"When the WHO arrived in Wuhan, (authorities) forcibly demolished (the group). As a result, we have lost contact with many members," Zhang added.

Other next of kin confirmed the group's deletion. WeChat is operated by Chinese digital giant Tencent. 

Popular platforms routinely censor content deemed objectionable by the government.

'Same old tune' 

Relatives accuse the Wuhan and Hubei provincial governments of allowing Covid-19 to explode out of control by trying to conceal the outbreak when it first emerged in the city in December 2019, then failing to alert the public and bungling the response.

According to official Chinese figures, it killed nearly 3,900 in Wuhan, accounting for the vast majority of the 4,636 dead China has reported. 

Many next of kin distrust those numbers, saying the scarcity of testing in the outbreak's chaotic early days meant many are likely to have died without being confirmed as having the disease.

More than two million people have died so far globally.

While China has broadly controlled the pandemic on its soil, it has frustrated independent attempts to trace its origins.

Instead, it has sought to deflect blame for the horrific worldwide human and economic toll by suggesting, without proof, that it emerged elsewhere.

A team of WHO virus experts were finally allowed into Wuhan a fortnight ago.

Their highly watched probe into the virus origins is due to start tomorrow, under tight security.

Another family member, a retiree who says her adult daughter died of the virus last January, told AFP she was summoned last week by authorities and warned not to "speak to media or be used by others". 

Authorities came to her door on Tuesday "and sang the same old tune and gave me 5,000 yuan (RM3,134) in a 'condolence payment'", she added, requesting anonymity.

Official obstruction 

The Communist Party government smothers anything that reflects its governance in a poor light, and the early days of the outbreak remain among the most sensitive topics in China today.

Several Wuhan relatives have tried to file suits seeking compensation and punishment of officials, but say courts have refused to accept them.

The Wuhan government has repeatedly failed to reply to AFP queries regarding the families and their demands.  

Zhang called on the WHO experts to "bravely" meet with next of kin, saying the investigators are likely to be misled or obstructed by Chinese authorities.

He said the families' hard-earned knowledge of how the virus played out could aid the investigation, though he acknowledges such a meeting is highly unlikely.

The virus is believed to have emerged from bats and to have initially spread from a wet market in Wuhan where wild animals were sold as food. 

But little else is known. 

Another theory, amplified by former US President Donald Trump, is that it leaked from a laboratory here where researchers were studying coronaviruses. – AFP, January 27, 2021

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war