World

South Korean delivery workers announce strike

Action follows unchanged conditions despite ‘social agreement’ signed with logistics firms last week

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Jan 2021 11:20PM

South Korean delivery workers announce strike
2,800 South Korean delivery workers, and additional 2,650 affiliated with the state postal service, will strike later this week over failure from logistics companies to improve working conditions. – AFP pic, January 27, 2021

SEOUL – South Korea’s delivery workers said today they will launch a strike later this week, accusing logistics firms of violating the terms of their recent agreement to improve working conditions, Yonhap News Agency reported.

The Parcel Delivery Workers’ Solidarity Union said the walkout will begin Friday with the participation of 2,800 members working for private logistics firms, such as Hanjin Transportation Co., Lotte Global Logistics Co. and CJ Logistics Co.

Another 2,650 members affiliated with the state postal service, Korea Post, will refuse to deliver parcels that have not been sorted in advance, it said, referring to a process that many couriers have blamed for their overwork.

“We hear from the field that nothing has changed,” Kim Tae-wan, the union leader, said during a press conference outside the headquarters of Hanjin Transportation, referring to Thursday’s agreement, which placed the burden of sorting parcels on logistics companies.

The union had scrapped plans to strike after reaching the deal on Thursday, the product of months-long negotiations sparked by the deaths of 19 delivery workers last year, apparently from overwork.

In a vote held last Wednesday and Thursday, 97% of the union’s members cast their ballots and 91% voted in favour of a strike, according to the union.

The dispute comes ahead of the February 11 to February 14 Lunar New Year holiday, when demand for deliveries is expected to soar.

The union said it will end the strike if logistics firms agree to sign a legally enforceable deal rather than the current “social” agreement mediated by the country’s Land, Infrastructure and Transport Ministry.

“Delivery workers can’t even dream of a legally enforceable deal between the union and companies, even when serious disasters continue to happen in the form of deaths from overwork at the workplace,” a union member said.

“We are left in a hopeless situation where no one imposes any controls even when logistics firms repeatedly violate the agreement.”

The two sides agreed in the recent deal to work towards capping the workload to 60 hours a week and 12 hours a day, with no deliveries after 9pm except when unavoidable.

Firms also agreed to come up with an automation plan for sorting parcels, with financial support from the National Assembly and government. – Bernama, January 27, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran