World

Daily virus deaths top 18,000 in grim record

This as nations shut borders, battle riots over lockdowns

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Jan 2021 9:00AM

Daily virus deaths top 18,000 in grim record
Despite the widespread gloom, such as violence in the Netherlands against a curfew this week, the WHO insists that all is not lost in the global fight against Covid-19. – AFP pic, January 28, 2021

PARIS – Daily global deaths from Covid-19 topped 18,000 for the first time yesterday, the latest reminder of the pandemic's devastating impact as governments tightened restrictions in a bid to contain alarming new coronavirus strains.

With vaccines seen as the only real chance of returning to some form of normality, a row erupted between the European Union and drugs firm AstraZeneca over supplies.

And in Lebanon, a third night of clashes was raging between police and anti-lockdown protesters, following similar violence in the Netherlands against a curfew this week.

"We are here to demand food. People are hungry," said Mohammed Ezzedine, a 20-year-old protester in the Lebanese city of Tripoli. "It's time for people to take to the streets."

Hotel quarantine in Britain 

As fears escalate over highly infectious new strains of the coronavirus, governments introduced a slew of travel restrictions yesterday. 

Finland banned all but essential travel, while Norway announced a border shutdown to almost all non-residents as of tomorrow.

Portugal suspended all flights with Brazil – home to one of the new strains – and Israel shut off its land borders with Egypt and Jordan. 

New strains first detected in Britain and South Africa have already spread to dozens of countries, the World Health Organisation warned.

Britain, the hardest-hit country in Europe, announced new hotel quarantine rules yesterday for citizens and residents returning from 22 "high-risk" countries.

Those flying back must stay in hotels for 10 days at their own cost, Interior Minister Priti Patel told lawmakers.

'The fight of our lives' 

The pandemic has now claimed some 2.2 million lives since the virus emerged in China in late 2019.

Russia's capital Moscow offered a glimmer of good news yesterday, announcing a further easing of restrictions citing an improving health situation.

But shutdowns of businesses and bans on group gatherings remain key to many governments' strategies.

Some 16 million Peruvians are due to enter a two-week lockdown at the end of this month, while the tiny southern African kingdom of Lesotho said it was prolonging its own shutdown over what Prime Minister Moeketsi Majoro said is a "very high and very dangerous" infection rate.

France is considering a third national lockdown, with its famed Cannes film festival postponed until July.

Hong Kong, meanwhile, has begun using "ambush lockdowns" to suddenly close off and test everyone inside neighbourhoods where cases have spiked.

Despite the widespread gloom, the WHO insisted yesterday that all is not lost.

"We are in the fight of our lives. We have to make sure that we're not fighting each other; that we're fighting the virus," said Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's technical lead on Covid-19.

"We can conquer this virus – and we will conquer this virus."

Europe's vaccine woes 

There have nonetheless been rising complaints of "vaccine nationalism" as countries compete to get hold of scarce supplies.

The EU is in a tense stand-off with drugs company AstraZeneca after it told the bloc it could only supply a quarter of the doses previously promised for the first quarter of 2021.

The EU has demanded the firm supply doses from its UK factories, in a move that risks setting the EU and Britain on a post-Brexit collision course as they both insist on receiving promised supplies.

"We reject the logic of first-come, first-served," EU health commissioner Stella Kyriakides said.

"That may work at the neighbourhood butcher's but not in contracts, and not in our advanced purchase agreements."

The row compounds the woes of Europe's vaccine roll-out, with many EU countries already facing delays in shipments of jabs made by Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech.  

Spain's Madrid region said yesterday that it was suspending new vaccines for at least two weeks due to shortages.

'War-time undertaking' 

In the US, the worst-hit country in the world, there was further proof of the huge blow the pandemic has struck to the economy.

The Federal Reserve warned that the economic recovery had lost steam in recent months, with Fed Chair Jerome Powell warning of a "highly uncertain" outlook.

White House spokesman Jen Psaki was, meanwhile, looking across to China, demanding a "robust and clear" international probe into the origins of the pandemic in the central city of Wuhan.

She told reporters it was "imperative we get to the bottom" of how the virus appeared and spread worldwide.

With a WHO team currently in Wuhan investigating the pandemic's origins, relatives of coronavirus victims in the city say Chinese authorities have deleted their social media group and are pressuring them to keep quiet. – AFP, January 28, 2021

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month