World

Philippines to allow travellers from banned countries starting Feb 1

Foreigners from nations that had confirmed cases of Covid-19 variants were prohibited

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Jan 2021 9:30PM

Philippines to allow travellers from banned countries starting Feb 1
The Philippines’ ban on foreign travellers from 36 countries and regions, including Britain, China and the US, will end on January 31 as planned. – AFP pic, January 29, 2021

MANILA – The Philippines will, starting next month, allow travellers from more than 30 countries and regions that were previously banned due to confirmed cases of Covid-19 variants, the Xinhua news agency reports, quoting presidential spokesman Harry Roque.

The ban on foreign travellers from 36 countries and regions, including Britain, China and the US, will end on January 31 as planned.

“The restriction remains until January 31, 2021, and will lapse after the aforesaid date,“ Roque said in a statement today.

The government said that foreign nationals who are not allowed entry to the Philippines as stated by previous orders, including those holding tourist visas, are still prohibited from entering the country.

Roque said that travellers allowed entry still need to complete a 14-day quarantine.

Roque also announced that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has retained the general community quarantine for the capital city of Manila until the end of February to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Aside from Manila, Roque said Duterte has also placed a number of provinces across the country under the same restrictions. Many provinces in other parts of the country are under more relaxed restrictions, he added.

The Philippines has come under varying lockdowns since March last year. The Philippines has tallied 519,575 coronavirus infections and 10,552 deaths. – Bernama, January 29, 2021

Related News

Off beat / 14h

Penang to identify new angling spots to cater to increasing demands

Our Planet / 1w

New tourism concepts from Thailand to mark new border crossing

Malaysia / 1w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Culture / 4w

Penang: Three refurbished tourism attractions to be ‘reopened’ soon

Malaysia / 1mth

New Malaysia-Thailand border crossing: Businesses will not be affected, says tourism authority

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations