World

WHO visits Wuhan hospital that took first Covid-19 patients

Mission ‘important opportunity to talk with medics’, but comes with heavy political baggage

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Jan 2021 4:00PM

WHO visits Wuhan hospital that took first Covid-19 patients
A team of World Health Organisation experts visiting Jinyintan Hospital, the first hospital to receive officially diagnosed Covid-19 patients in late 2019, in Wuhan. – AFP pic, January 30, 2021

WUHAN – The team of World Health Organisation experts investigating the origins of the coronavirus met staff today at the Wuhan hospital that received the first confirmed Covid-19 cases, before a scheduled tour of a propaganda exhibition celebrating China’s recovery from the pandemic.

The group was driven to the Jinyintan Hospital, the first hospital to receive officially diagnosed Covid-19 patients in late 2019, as the horrors of the virus emerged in the central Chinese city.

Details of the trip have been scant so far, with the media kept at arm’s length, and information on the itinerary dribbling out via tweets from the experts instead of China’s communist authorities.

In a tweet, team member Peter Daszak welcomed the hospital visit as an “important opportunity to talk directly with medics, who were on the ground at that critical time fighting Covid-19!”

This afternoon, the team are scheduled to visit a cavernous exhibition that applauds the emergency response of Wuhan health authorities in the chaotic, terrifying early stages of the virus – as well as the agility of the communist leadership to control a crisis without precedent.

The WHO mission comes with heavy political baggage.

It has been beset by delays, with China refusing access until mid-January, while there are question marks over what the experts can hope to find a year after the virus first emerged.

Yesterday, WHO emergencies director Micheal Ryan sought to manage expectations.

Success “is not measured necessarily in absolutely finding a source on the first mission”, he told a news conference in Geneva.

“This is a complicated business, but what we need to do is gather all of the data... and come to an assessment as to how much more we know about the origins of the disease, and what further studies may be needed to elucidate that.”

Last week, China warned the United States against “political interference” during the trip, after the White House demanded a “robust and clear” investigation.

WHO insists the probe will stick tightly to the science behind how the virus jumped from animals – believed to be bats – to humans.

The team is also expected to visit the Huanan market believed to have been the first major cluster of infections, the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other labs, in what Ryan describes as a “very busy, busy schedule”.

Beijing is desperate to defang criticism of its handling of the chaotic early stages of the outbreak.

It has refocused attention at home and abroad on its handling of and recovery from the outbreak.

Since seeping beyond China’s borders, the pandemic has ripped across the world killing more than two million people and wrecking economies.

China, with a relatively low reported death toll of 4,636, has bounced back. It has swiftly locked down areas where any cases are found, tested millions and restricted travel to snuff out the crisis.

The Chinese economy grew by 2.3% despite the outbreak last year, and its leadership misses few chances to boast of the country’s resilience and renewal.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman yesterday flagged the WHO visit as “a part of global research” into the pandemic.

“It is not an investigation,” Zhao Lijian told reporters. – AFP, January 30, 2021

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran