World

City of Germany’s patient zero says Covid-19 fight not over

Munich frontliners note decline in cases, but exercise cautious optimism amid fatigue, possibility of resurgence

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Feb 2021 10:00PM

City of Germany’s patient zero says Covid-19 fight not over
In the Bavarian city of Munich, where Germany’s first Covid-19 case was recorded, officials say it is still far too early to ease restrictions despite a recent decline in case numbers. – AFP pic, February 2, 2021

MUNICH – A year after Germany’s first Covid-19 patient was admitted to a Munich hospital, its exhausted doctors say the fight against the virus is far from over, despite a recent decline in cases.

“The situation is easing up a bit but our teams are tired and the virus hasn’t gone away yet,” said Clemens Wendtner, professor of infectious diseases at the Munich Clinic (MMHG).

The MMHG hospital in Schwabing, northern Munich, treated Germany’s patient zero – an employee of the electromobility company Webasto who got infected at a training session led by a Chinese colleague.

A year on, what was then an epidemic is today a raging pandemic that has claimed more than 57,000 lives in Germany alone and infected more than two million.

For Wendtner, it simply means: “It is far too early to ease restrictions. We have to remain disciplined.”

At an intensive care unit in the nearby Rechts der Isar Hospital, it has been a rollercoaster ride.

After an explosion in new cases before Christmas, the numbers are slowly starting to stabilise again.

For the hospital, re-establishing a non-Covid-19 zone after several weeks has felt like a small victory.

A plexiglass screen in the corridor of the intensive care unit marks the dividing line between coronavirus patients and those with other ailments, a red stop sign warning staff not to proceed without protective equipment.

“Now we can take in non-Covid-19 patients again,” said doctor Markus Heim.

One in three will die

In December, amid a surge in the number of cases in Germany, the unit’s 21 beds were given over entirely to critical Covid-19 patients.

“It was a very tense situation,” said Heim.

Germany renewed restrictions in November, shutting down bars and restaurants as well as culture and leisure facilities. 

Measures were tightened further in December, with schools and non-essential shops also ordered to close. The current shutdowns are set to last at least until mid-February. 

The state of Bavaria has gone further than national measures by also ordering a nightly curfew from 9pm.

Weeks into the restrictions, German leaders have cautiously voiced optimism as infection numbers are coming down.

There were 4,322 Covid patients in intensive care across the country yesterday, according to the German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine Congress – down from around 5,700 in early January.

Nevertheless, the situation remains critical for many.

Late last month, three patients were being treated in Rechts der Isar Hospital’s Covid-19 section.

One of them is a man in his 40s, unconscious, hooked up to countless tubes and machines, under the constant watchful eye of medical staff.

On his bedside table is a picture of his family, smiling.

His chances of survival are not much better than they would have been a year ago: according to Heim, about a third of Covid-19 patients brought to this unit will die.

The doctor is still shocked by “what this virus can do to healthy people”.

“There is still a lot we don’t know about it,” the 44-year-old said.

‘Long way to go’

Intensive care nurse Monika Schubka, 49, gets through the bad times by “talking to family, friends and colleagues”.

After months of caring for Covid-19 patients, she is no longer afraid of getting infected herself.

“We are well equipped, well protected. During the first wave, I was a bit worried, I was afraid of infecting my family, but not anymore,” the mother of two said.

Before stepping into the room of a Covid-19 patient, staff must be wrapped up in a plastic head covering, visor, mask, surgical gown, and gloves.

Hospital staff have a clear message for those keen on easing the restrictions.

“We all wish we could do the things we miss, like hugging our parents,” said Schubka, who has not seen her mother and father since November. 

But “we have a long road ahead of us and a long way to go”, she believes.

Schubka is clinging to the hope of celebrating her birthday in April with family and a few friends, if the situation allows.

The first wave poured cold water on her birthday celebrations last year, but she is hopeful that it will be possible to celebrate her 50th in some kind of style. – AFP, February 2, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war