World

British lockdown hero ‘Capt Tom’ dies of Covid-19

100-year-old military vet, who raised £33 million for UK health charities, won hearts of millions

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Feb 2021 8:55AM

British lockdown hero ‘Capt Tom’ dies of Covid-19
Captain Sir Tom Moore shot to international fame for his selfless efforts and fundraising during the Covid-19 pandemic. – AFP pic, February 3, 2021

LONDON – Tributes flooded in from around the world yesterday, following the death of Captain Sir Tom Moore, the 100-year-old British military veteran who won hearts with his fundraising during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Moore, who raised nearly £33 million (RM182 million) for United Kingdom health service charities, died in hospital in southern England yesterday morning after testing positive for coronavirus last month.

His daughters, Hannah Ingram-Moore and Lucy Teixeira, said the last year of his life, when he shot to international fame for his selfless efforts, had been “nothing short of remarkable”.

“He was rejuvenated and experienced things he’d only ever dreamed of,” they said in a statement, noting they had spent the last hours of his life reminiscing together.

“We shared laughter and tears together.”

Queen Elizabeth II, who awarded him a knighthood last year, sent a private message to his family.

“Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Captain Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year,” the message added.

Queen Elizabeth II awarding Captain Sir Tom Moore a knighthood last year. – AFP pic, February 3, 2021
Queen Elizabeth II awarding Captain Sir Tom Moore a knighthood last year. – AFP pic, February 3, 2021

Beacon of hope

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who spoke to Ingram-Moore to offer his condolences, called the veteran “not just a national inspiration, but a beacon of hope for the world” and “a hero in the truest sense of the word”.

“In the dark days of World War II, he fought for freedom, and in the face of this country’s deepest post-war crisis, he united us all, he cheered us all up, and he embodied the triumph of the human spirit.”

The United States added to the global tributes.

“We join the UK and the world in honouring the memory of Captain Sir Tom Moore, who inspired millions through his life and his actions,” the White House said on Twitter.

Meanwhile, United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric expressed the condolences of Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who spoke to Moore on his 100th birthday on April 30.

“During this pandemic, his selflessness, compassion, and determination to help others was an inspiration to people everywhere and will remain so.”

Soldier to the end

Moore was admitted to hospital on Sunday after testing positive for Covid-19 on January 22.

His family said he had not been vaccinated because he had been receiving treatment for pneumonia.

Moore, born in northern England in 1920, raised the record-breaking sum for National Health Service charities last year by walking lengths of his garden, and then became the oldest man to top the UK music charts with a cover of “You’ll Never Walk Alone”.

He had initially set out to raise £1,000 in gratitude for the treatment he had received for skin cancer and a broken hip, but ended up attracting donations from 1.5 million supporters.

His efforts helped galvanise Britons as the country grappled with the early days of the pandemic, and were credited with giving others hope and help at a time of need and uncertainty.

The British Army paid its own tribute to Moore, who served in Asia during WW II, calling him “an exceptional man and soldier to the end”.

Moore's 100th birthday last year was marked by a Royal Air Force flypast, beamed live across the nation, while some 140,000 people sent him cards.

He rounded off a remarkable 2020 with a trip to Barbados with his family, donated by British Airways.

Yesterday, landmarks, including the London Eye, Wembley Stadium and Blackpool Tower, were lit up to honour the centenarian’s passing.

“Whilst he’d been in so many hearts for just a short time, he was an incredible father and grandfather, and he will stay alive in our hearts forever,” his daughters said in their statement. – AFP, February 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus