World

‘Angel Gabriel’ goes on trial in Finland over Liberia war crimes

Sierra Leonean is accused of murder, aggravated war crimes, and aggravated crimes against humanity

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Feb 2021 12:00PM

‘Angel Gabriel’ goes on trial in Finland over Liberia war crimes
Court documents contend Gibril Massaquoi held an extremely senior and influential position in the RUF, one of the main militias fighting alongside president Charles Taylor’s NPFL forces. – AFP pic, February 3, 2021

TAMPERE – The trial of a suspected warlord accused of atrocities during Liberia’s civil war begins in Finland today, the first such case to be partly heard on Liberian soil.

Gibril Massaquoi, a Sierra Leonean living in Finland since 2008, is accused of murder, aggravated war crimes, and aggravated crimes against humanity during the West African country’s internal conflict a generation ago.

The 51-year-old – who denies the charges – was allegedly known by the moniker “Angel Gabriel” and will appear before Pirkanmaa District Court in Tampere, the Finnish town where he was arrested in March last year.

In a historic first, the court will also move to Liberia and neighbouring Sierra Leone in mid-February to hear testimony from up to 80 witnesses and visit sites where the atrocities are alleged to have been carried out under Massaquoi’s orders.

Prosecutors have demanded a life sentence for a grisly litany of killings, rapes, and torture they say were carried out by Massaquoi and soldiers under his command between 1999 and 2003.

Life sentences in Finland mean on average 14 years imprisonment, with prisoners released after a safety review.

Court documents contend he held an “extremely senior and influential position” in the RUF, one of the main militias fighting alongside president Charles Taylor’s NPFL forces.

Finnish law can allow for the prosecution of serious crimes committed abroad.

In the northern village of Kamatahun Hassala, witnesses say that Massaquoi ordered civilians, including children, to be locked into two buildings which were burnt to the ground.

At least seven women were raped and murdered in the same village, while other locals were killed, their bodies cut up and “made into food which Massaquoi also ate”, according to the court documents.

The 4,000-page evidence dossier further details mass murders and rapes in Lofa county and the capital Monrovia, and accuses Massaquoi of enslavement and using child soldiers.

The crimes “deliberately and systematically” violated international humanitarian law, and inflicted “irreparable emotional suffering and damage” on the families of his many victims, prosecutors wrote.

News that the court will sit in Liberia has been welcomed in the country whose back-to-back civil wars between 1989 and 2003 left 250,000 people dead and millions displaced.

“This is a good step taken by the international community. It is a signal that crimes committed during the civil war will not go unpunished,” human rights activist Adama Dempster said in Monrovia.

Civitas Maxima, the rights group whose initial investigation into Massaquoi prompted the Finnish police to act, said the “groundbreaking” decision could set “a monumental precedent in the ongoing struggle for accountability for the world’s worst atrocities”.

So far only a handful of people have been convicted for their part in the conflict.

Former Liberian warlord-turned-president Charles Taylor was imprisoned in 2012 – but for war crimes committed in neighbouring Sierra Leone, not in his own country. – AFP, February 3, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren