World

Crew still on board seized S. Korean ship despite Iran release pledge

Tehran said only captain, vessel will be retained, but all hands remain onboard

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Feb 2021 5:00PM

Crew still on board seized S. Korean ship despite Iran release pledge
The Hankuk Chemi was seized by Iran on January 4, and although Tehran announced it would release the ship’s crew, all 20 sailors remain onboard the tanker amid rising tensions. – Screengrab, February 4, 2021

SEOUL – The crew of a South Korean tanker seized by Iran are still onboard the ship, Seoul said today, despite Tehran announcing earlier this week it would release them in a humanitarian move.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps seized the Hankuk Chemi and arrested its multinational crew of 20 sailors near the strategic Strait of Hormuz on January 4, saying it had polluted the waters.

The development came as Tehran urged Seoul to release billions of dollars of Iranian assets frozen in South Korea due to US sanctions.

On Tuesday, Iran’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said the crew of the seized tanker had been granted permission to leave the country “in a humanitarian move”, although it would retain the vessel and its captain.

South Korean reports say the partial release complicates the situation as the ship needs personnel present to maintain it.

All the crew members remained on board, Seoul’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said today, adding South Korean officials had been allowed to meet them yesterday for the first time since the seizure.

“The ministry is discussing with the tanker company on the disembarkation and return of the crew and will put all efforts to secure the release of the captain and the ship as early as possible,” it said in a statement.

A representative at the tanker company DM Shipping said nothing was certain despite Tehran’s announcement that the crew would be released.

“Discussions for their return are still ongoing,” he told AFP. “It hasn’t been decided whether they will return 100%.”

The arrested crew are from South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Myanmar.

Former US president Donald Trump in 2018 withdrew Washington from a landmark nuclear agreement with world powers and then reimposed and reinforced crippling sanctions on Iran.

Iran was a key oil supplier to resource-poor South Korea until Washington’s rules blocked the purchases.

According to government spokesman Ali Rabiei, Iran has US$7 billion (RM28.4 billion) of funds blocked in Seoul.

Tehran has repeatedly denied any link between the ship’s seizure and the funds issue. – AFP, February 4, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran