World

Facebook blocked in Myanmar as UN chief says coup must fail

Telecoms provider Telenor complies with military authorities’ order under protest

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Feb 2021 7:00PM

Facebook blocked in Myanmar as UN chief says coup must fail
Telenor, one of Myanmar’s main telecoms providers, confirms that authorities had ordered it to ‘temporarily block’ Facebook access. – AFP pic, February 4, 2021

YANGON – Myanmar’s generals ordered internet providers to restrict access to Facebook today, as United Nations chief Antonio Guterres said the world must rally to ensure the military coup fails.

The Southeast Asian nation was plunged back into direct military rule on Monday as de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other civilian leaders were detained in a series of dawn raids, ending the country’s brief experiment with democracy.

The coup sparked international condemnation and fears the military will drag 54 million people back to the decades of junta rule that turned Myanmar into one of Asia’s most impoverished and repressive nations.

With soldiers back on the streets of major cities, the takeover has so far not generated any mass pro-democracy street protests.

However hundreds of supporters of the Tatmadaw, as the military is called, rallied in the capital Naypyidaw today in support of the coup, waving the red flag of the armed forces.

Some carried signs which read: “National betrayers who depend on foreign countries are not wanted” and “Tatmadaw that loves people... may you be successful.”

But people have flocked to social media to voice opposition and share plans for civil disobedience – especially on Facebook. 

“We have digital power...so we've been using this since day one to oppose the military junta,” said activist Thinzar Shunlei Yi, who’s behind a so-called “Civil Disobedience Movement” fanning out across social media platforms. 

Telenor, one of the country’s main telecoms providers, confirmed today that authorities had ordered it to “temporarily block” Facebook access.

The Norwegian-owned company said it had to comply but “does not believe that the request is based on necessity and proportionality, in accordance with international human rights law”.

Facebook confirmed access “is currently disrupted for some people” and urged authorities to restore connectivity. 

NetBlocks, which monitors internet outages around the world, said the disruptions were also affecting Facebook-owned apps such as Instagram and WhatsApp.

For many in Myanmar, Facebook is the gateway to the internet and a vital way to gather information.

“The first thing we look at each morning is our phone, the last thing we look at in the night is our phone,” Aye, a 32-year-old entrepreneur opposed to the coup, said.

A small rally kicked off today in front of Mandalay Medicine University, with protesters carrying signs that said “People’s protest against the military coup!”

Local media said police arrested four people, although authorities could not confirm the detentions. 

Meanwhile, 70 MPs from Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party signed a “pledge to serve the public” while staging their own symbolic parliamentary session in Naypyidaw, according to local media. – AFP, February 4, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Off beat / 7mth

RM5 parking fee suddenly 'jumps' to RM1,469 as man is about to tap card

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war