World

UN voices ‘deep concern’ over Myanmar coup

Veto-wielding China, Russia ask UN Security Council for more time to finesse response

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Feb 2021 8:00AM

UN voices ‘deep concern’ over Myanmar coup
The Myanmar military has imposed a state of emergency for a year, and claims it will then hold fresh elections. – AFP pic, February 5, 2021

NEW YORK – The United Nations Security Council yesterday expressed “deep concern” over the military coup in Myanmar, and called in a statement for the “release of all detainees”, including Aung San Suu Kyi.

But the statement, written by the United Kingdom, no longer condemned the putsch as envisaged in a first draft during an emergency meeting on Tuesday.

Diplomats said veto-wielding China and Russia, Myanmar’s main supporters at the UN, had asked for more time to finesse the council’s response.

The later-published statement also supports a return to dialogue and the democratic process in Myanmar, where the army has detained civilian leaders, including Suu Kyi.

“It is better a text with less, than no text at all,” said one diplomat, recalling that negotiations had been difficult since Tuesday with China.

Beijing’s mission to the UN said it has contributed to the “improvement” of the text.

China’s communist leadership has taken a non-confrontational approach to the coup. Beijing has called for all parties in Myanmar to “resolve their differences”, and the official Xinhua news agency on Monday described the coup as a “major cabinet reshuffle”.

Myanmar is a vital piece of Beijing’s huge Belt and Road infrastructure initiative.

United States President Joe Biden has called for a quick restoration of democracy in Myanmar, while UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, the European Union and Australia are among others to condemn the coup.

The Myanmar military has justified its seizure of power by alleging widespread fraud in elections held three months ago that Suu Kyi’s NLD won in a landslide. It has imposed a state of emergency for a year, and claimed it will then hold fresh elections. – AFP, February 5, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Opinion / 1y

Anwar Ibrahim and a nation in transition

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest