World

Myanmar broadens social media crackdown as anti-coup protests grow

Twitter says move undermines public conversation, rights of people to make their voices heard

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Feb 2021 1:30PM

Myanmar broadens social media crackdown as anti-coup protests grow
Myanmar authorities ordered a blockade on Twitter and Instagram ‘until further notice’ yesterday. – Pixabay pic, February 6, 2021

YANGON – Myanmar’s military rulers have broadened a crackdown on social media in a bid to stifle growing signs of popular dissent, as a UN envoy made direct contact with the new regime to pressure it into reversing this week’s coup.

Twitter confirmed today it had become the latest platform blocked by the junta, following a surge of new users seeking to circumvent blocks on Facebook and other internet domains.

The move “undermines the public conversation and the rights of people to make their voices heard”, a Twitter spokesman told AFP. 

The dawn arrests of de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior leaders this week brought a sudden halt to Myanmar’s brief 10-year experiment with democracy, and catalysed an outpouring of fury that has migrated from social media to the streets.

Online calls to protest the army takeover have prompted increasingly bold displays of defiance against the new regime, including the nightly deafening clamour of people around the country banging pots and pans – a practice traditionally associated with driving out evil.

Yesterday saw one of the largest concentrated shows of public dissent within the country so far from around 200 teachers and university students. 

The group sang a popular revolutionary song and displayed the three-finger salute borrowed from Thailand’s democracy movements, mirroring similar rallies elsewhere in the country. 

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said a special envoy to the country had made “first contact” with Myanmar’s deputy military commander to urge the junta to relinquish power to the civilian government it toppled.

“We will do everything we can to make the international community united in making sure that conditions are created for this coup to be reversed,” he told reporters yesterday. 

State media in Myanmar reported today that junta figures had spoken with diplomats the previous day to respond to an international outcry and asked them to work with the new leaders. 

“The government understand the concerns of the international community on the continuation of Myanmar’s democratic transition process,” International Cooperation Minister Ko Ko Hlaing said in the meeting, according to the report.

‘Freedom from fear’ 

As protests gathered steam this week, the junta ordered telecom networks to freeze users out of access to Facebook, an extremely popular service in the country and arguably its main mode of communication. 

The platform had hosted a rapidly growing “Civil Disobedience Movement” forum that had inspired civil servants, healthcare professionals, and teachers to show their dissent by boycotting their jobs in civil service and hospitals. 

The military widened its efforts to stifle dissent yesterday when it demanded new blocks on other social media services. 

Norway-based Telenor said its local phone company had been instructed to cut access to the platform late yesterday, adding it had “challenged the necessity” of the directive.

An apparent ministry document ordering the blockade – seen by AFP but not verified – said Twitter and Instagram were being used to “cause misunderstanding among the public”. 

Some internet-savvy users have managed to circumvent the social media block by using VPN services.

By this morning, trending hashtags like #WeNeedDemocracy, #HeartheVoiceofMyanmar and “Freedom from fear” – the latter a famed Suu Kyi quote – had millions of mentions. 

An immensely popular figure despite a tarnished reputation in the West, Suu Kyi has not been seen in public since the coup, but a party spokesman said yesterday she is under house arrest and “in good health”. 

US President Joe Biden was among world leaders this week to demand the generals “relinquish power... release advocates and activists and officials they have detained, lift the restrictions in telecommunications, and refrain from violence”.

Japanese beer giant Kirin – long under scrutiny over its ties to Myanmar’s army-owned breweries – said yesterday it was terminating a joint venture with a military-owned conglomerate. – AFP, February 6, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest