World

Panama defends hiring Cuban doctors to fight pandemic

No other countries would help, says health minister

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Feb 2021 10:00PM

Panama defends hiring Cuban doctors to fight pandemic
The decision to bring Cuban doctors produced controversy in some sectors because in Panama, medical practice is restricted to local professionals. – AFP pic, February 9, 2021

PANAMA CITY – Panama’s health minister yesterday defended the deployment of more than 200 Cuban doctors to help the Central American country battle the coronavirus, despite criticism of the island government’s human rights record at home.

“We are eternally grateful” to the Cuban doctors because “they came here to save the lives of Panamanians”, said Luis Francisco Sucre during an appearance before the National Assembly to answer questions about the management of the pandemic. 

Several deputies criticised the Panamanian government’s decision to hire the 220 Cuban doctors, calling it “a violation of human rights”.

But Sucre defended the agreement between his ministry and its Cuban counterpart, which he said “complies with all due legal processes”.

He said his government would not hesitate to “sign it again”.

“The same people who today criticise the agreement signed with the Cuban Health Ministry would have been criticising if there were dead in the streets, or if people were dying in the corridors of hospitals because we had no doctors to treat them,” Sucre said. 

The Cubans arrived in Panama on December 24, at a time when Panama was facing a crisis that had completely overwhelmed its health system and exhausted local doctors. 

The decision to bring Cuban doctors produced controversy in some sectors because in Panama, medical practice is restricted to local professionals. 

The announcement also met with resistance from Washington.

“Governments that hire Cuban medical workers must ensure their fair and humane treatment – in stark contrast to the Castro regime, which traffics in and exploits the workers’ bravery for its own gains,” tweeted Michael Kozak, Washington’s acting assistant secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

“Make contracts transparent and pay workers directly,” he said.

Washington and some human rights organisations consider the sale of Cuban medical services a form of “forced labour” that “violates human rights” and only serves as propaganda for the Communist government of the island. 

During his speech, Sucre said that in addition to Cuba, the Panamanian government also requested medical support from other countries, such as the United States, Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela, Italy, Israel, China and Russia, but had been unsuccessful. 

“The criticisms are easy, the difficult thing is to be here directing a pandemic that nobody asked for,” Sucre said. 

Panama, with 4.2 million inhabitants, has the highest number of Covid-19 cases in Central America, with more than 327,000 cases and 5,506 deaths. – AFP, February 9, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt