World

Cuba tips Colombia off about looming left-wing ELN rebel attack

Govt received note from ambassador of alleged planned terrorist operation, says defence minister

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Feb 2021 10:30PM

Cuba tips Colombia off about looming left-wing ELN rebel attack
Since May 2018, Havana has hosted a delegation from the National Liberation Army, or ELN, the last active guerrilla organisation operating in Colombia after the 2016 peace agreement by the main rebel group, the FARC, which was negotiated on the island. – Pixabay pic, February 9, 2021

BOGOTA – Cuba has tipped Colombia off about a plan by the left-wing ELN guerrilla group to attack Bogota in the “next few days”, Colombia’s defence minister said yesterday. 

“The Colombian government received from the Cuban ambassador... Jose Luis Ponce, a communication with an alleged terrorist attack that was being planned for Colombia by the ELN group,” Diego Molano said in a statement. 

Since May 2018, Havana has hosted a delegation from the National Liberation Army, or ELN, the last active guerrilla organisation operating in Colombia after the 2016 peace agreement by the main rebel group, the FARC, which was negotiated on the island. 

The ELN rebels had been angling for a similar truce with then-president Juan Manuel Santos that would completely end the civil conflict that had stretched on for more than half a century. 

But Santos’ successor, President Ivan Duque, broke off talks after the ELN detonated a car bomb at a police academy in Bogota that killed 22 people, in addition to the attacker, in January 2019.

Cuba said in the memo, signed by its ambassador, that it had shared the intelligence with the guerrilla delegation on the island, but that the ELN representatives “expressed total ignorance” of the plot. 

The ELN delegation also “reiterated that it has no involvement in the military decisions or operations of the organisation”, according to the memo, released by Colombian officials. 

After the breakdown of the peace process, Duque demanded that Cuba extradite the rebels in its territory, which President Miguel Diaz-Canel’s government opposed. 

Havana argued that there are protocols signed by Colombia and guarantor countries that provide for the ex-negotiators to be safely returned to their camps on Colombian soil. 

The government of former United States president Donald Trump used Cuba’s refusal as an argument to include the island nation again on its list of countries that sponsor terrorism. 

The ELN has some 2,300 combatants and an extensive support network in urban centres. Bogota also condemned the fact that a significant number of the rebels are in Venezuela under the protection of “the dictatorship of Nicolas Maduro”. – AFP, February 9, 2021

Related News

World / 6mth

Wizz Air flight intercepted by fighter jets after child renames WiFi 'terrorist'

World / 2y

Russia’s FSB nabs suspects in deadly Moscow concert attack after IS claims responsibility

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Liverpool supports striker Luis Diaz after parents kidnapped in Colombia

World / 2y

Israel at war after 'surprise' air attack, ground infiltration from Gaza, says Netanyahu

World / 2y

Terrorists behind foiled attack in Turkiye used stolen car of murdered civilian

World / 3y

China spied on US using Cuba military base since 2019: US official

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran