World

Al-Qaeda’s Yemen leader appears in video despite UN report of arrest

In the clip, Khalid Batarfi talks about the storming of the US Congress last month

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Feb 2021 12:00PM

Al-Qaeda’s Yemen leader appears in video despite UN report of arrest
Leader of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula Khalid Batarfi speaking about the storming of the US Congress last month in a video released yesterday. – Screen grab, February 11, 2021

DUBAI – The leader of al-Qaeda’s branch in Yemen appears to be still at large, despite a United Nations report that claims he has been under arrest for months, the Site Intelligence Group and two local tribal leaders said today after he was seen in a video released by the jihadist group.

Khalid Batarfi, who has been the leader of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) for about a year, talks about the storming of the US Congress last month in the video, which came out yesterday.

The video, which opens with footage of the January 6 assault by Donald Trump supporters, belies reports that Batarfi was under arrest, said Site, which monitors extremist organisations.

In the 20-minute video titled “America and the Painful Seizure”, Batarfi says “storming the Congress is only the tip of the iceberg of what will come to them, God willing”.

A report filed to the UN Security Council last week claimed Batarfi was arrested and his deputy, Saad Atef al-Awlaqi, killed during an “operation in Ghayda City, Al-Mahrah governorate, in October”.

Two local tribal leaders in the Al-Bayda governorate in central Yemen, where AQAP is active, told AFP there was a high probability the person arrested was not Batarfi but another member of the jihadist group.

“Most probably, he wasn’t arrested, and the one who was arrested was another senior leader in the group,” one of the tribal leaders said.

The UN report, which summarised global potential jihadist threats, did not disclose his whereabouts or reveal any further details of the October operation.

‘Global terrorist’ 

AQAP revealed it had appointed Batarfi, believed to be in his early 40s, as its leader in February last year following the death of his predecessor Qassim al-Rimi in a US air strike in Yemen.

Batarfi, who was designated a global terrorist by the US State Department in 2018, has appeared in numerous AQAP videos over recent years, according to Site, and appeared to have been Rimi’s deputy and group spokesman.

Washington considers AQAP to be the worldwide jihadist network’s most dangerous branch, and has waged a long-running drone war against the leaders of the group.

AQAP claimed responsibility for the 2019 mass shooting at a US naval base in Florida, in which a Saudi air force officer killed three American sailors.

The Sunni extremist group thrived in the chaos of years of civil war between Yemen’s Saudi-backed government and Iran-backed Huthi rebels.

AQAP has carried out operations against both the Huthis and government forces as well as sporadic attacks abroad, including on the offices of the French satirical publication Charlie Hebdo in 2015.

Analysts say its abilities on the ground have dwindled, although it still inspires attacks carried out by “lone wolf” jihadists or former operatives.

Yemen has been wracked by conflict since 2015, when a Saudi-led coalition intervened after the Huthis seized control of the capital Sanaa. – AFP, February 11, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

Anwar, Modi condemn all forms of terrorism, call for zero tolerance

Malaysia / 11mth

PDRM Counter Terrorism collected early intelligence on Al-Qaeda 22 months before 9/11 attacks

Malaysia / 2y

Restaurant worker charged with being IS member

Malaysia / 2y

6 men, 2 women arrested over IS-linked threats against king, PM

Malaysia / 2y

No more structured terror groups in Malaysia, say security experts

Malaysia / 2y

Incendiary speech on race, religion leading to lone wolf attacks, says expert

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations