World

Myanmar junta warns public against harbouring wanted activists

Cops hunting 7 who have lent vocal support to anti-coup protests, including some of country’s most famous democracy figures

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Feb 2021 6:30PM

Myanmar junta warns public against harbouring wanted activists
Protesters holding up signs calling for the release of Myanmar’s civilian leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, during an anti-coup rally in Yangon today. – AFP pic, February 14, 2021

YANGON – Myanmar’s new military regime today warned the public not to harbour fugitive political activists, after issuing arrest warrants for veteran democracy campaigners supporting massive nationwide anti-coup protests.

Much of the country has been in uproar since last week, when soldiers detained Aung San Suu Kyi and ousted her government, ending a decade-old fledgling democracy after generations of junta rule. 

Security forces have stepped up the arrest of doctors and others joining a civil disobedience movement that has seen huge crowds thronging the streets across big urban centres and isolated villages in mountainous frontier communities. 

Police are hunting seven people who have lent vocal support to the protests, including some of the country’s most famous democracy activists. 

“If you find any fugitives mentioned above, or if you have information about them, report to the nearest police station,” said a notice in state media today.

“Those who receive them will (face) action in accordance with the law.”

Among the list of fugitives is Min Ko Naing, who spent more than a decade in prison for helping lead protests against a dictatorship in 1988 while he was a university student.

“They are arresting the people at night, and we have to be careful,” he said in a video published yesterday on Facebook, skirting a junta ban on the platform, hours before his warrant was issued.

“They could crack down forcefully, and we will have to be prepared.”

The 1988 protests vaulted Suu Kyi to the forefront of Myanmar’s democracy movement, and the Nobel laureate spent years under house arrest as the generals’ prisoner.

She has not been seen in public since she was detained on February 1 alongside key aides.

Nearly 400 others have been arrested in the days since, including many of Suu Kyi’s top political allies, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners monitoring group.

Military leader Min Aung Hlaing suspended requiring warrants for home searches and limiting detentions without court orders to 24 hours as part of several legal manoeuvres issued yesterday. 

People in some urban residential areas have begun forming neighbourhood watch brigades to monitor their communities overnight – defying a junta curfew – and prevent the arrest of residents participating in the civil disobedience movement. 

Crowds returned to the streets here today, with hundreds massing at an intersection near the commercial capital’s famed Shwedagon pagoda.

A day earlier, Buddhist monks gathered outside the city’s United States embassy and chanted the Metta Sutta, a prayer that urges protection from harm. 

‘Media ethics’

Myanmar’s new military leadership has so far been unmoved by a torrent of international condemnation. 

An emergency session of the United Nations Human Rights Council on Friday called for the regime to release all “arbitrarily detained” people, and for the military to hand power back to Suu Kyi’s administration.

Solidarity rallies have been staged in neighbouring Thailand, home to a large community of Myanmar migrant workers, as well as the US, Japan and Australia. 

But, traditional allies of the country’s armed forces, including Russia and China, have dissociated themselves from what they have described as interference in Myanmar’s “internal affairs”.

The junta insists that it took power lawfully, and has instructed journalists in the country not to refer to itself as a government that took power in a coup. 

“We inform... journalists and news media organisations not to write to cause public unrest,” said a notice sent by the Information Ministry to the foreign correspondents’ club yesterday. 

It also instructed reporters to follow “news media ethics” when covering events in the country. – AFP, February 14, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations