World

Global condemnation follows bloodiest day since Myanmar coup

90 people, including children, mowed down as troops open fire on protesters

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Mar 2021 8:30PM

Global condemnation follows bloodiest day since Myanmar coup
Protesters in Dawei, Myanmar, yesterday. The defence ministers of 12 countries, including the United States, Britain, Japan and Australia, today condemned the Myanmar military’s use of lethal force against civilians. – AFP pic, March 28, 2021

YANGON – Defence chiefs from a dozen countries today jointly condemned the bloodbath in Myanmar a day earlier, when at least 90 people – including several children – were killed after security forces opened fire on protesters.

The newly imposed junta staged a major show of might for its annual Armed Forces Day yesterday as the death toll since the February 1 coup climbed to at least 423, according to a local monitoring group.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since the generals ousted and detained civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi, triggering mass protests demanding a return to democracy.

The defence ministers of 12 countries, including the United States, Britain, Japan and Australia, today condemned the Myanmar military’s use of lethal force against civilians.

“A professional military follows international standards for conduct and is responsible for protecting – not harming – the people it serves,” the rare joint statement said.

“We urge the Myanmar armed forces to cease violence and work to restore respect and credibility with the people of Myanmar that it has lost through its actions.”

Mourners were expected to turn out for funeral processions across the country today, after the bloodiest day since the putsch.

In the capital Naypyidaw yesterday, there was a grand parade of troops and military vehicles, and junta leader General Min Aung Hlaing warned in a speech that acts of “terrorism” were unacceptable.

Violence erupted across the country with the military using live rounds in more than 40 townships across nine regions including the largest city here, local monitoring group Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) said. 

By sunset, it was the deadliest day since the junta seized power, AAPP saying at least 90 people had been killed.

“Junta forces shot machine-guns into residential areas, resulting in many civilians, including six children between 10 and 16 years old, killed,” AAPP said.

“The fact the illegitimate military regime is targeting children is a grave act of inhumanity.”

A reporter in Kyeikhto township, Mon state, was shot with a live bullet and suffered a leg wound, AAPP said. – AFP, March 28, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Malaysia / 6mth

Rafizi calls on PH partners to make a clear stand over Azam Baki issue

Malaysia / 6mth

Police probe alleged leak of information on ATM promotions

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations