World

‘Butcher of Bosnia’ Mladic faces final genocide verdict

Prosecutors ‘cautiously optimistic’ that appeal by mastermind of Europe’s worst bloodshed since WWII will be thrown out

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Jun 2021 5:00PM

‘Butcher of Bosnia’ Mladic faces final genocide verdict
Bosnian Serb ex-general Ratko Mladic, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment, arriving before the international UN tribunal in The Hague where he is appealing his conviction, on August 25, 2020. – AFP pic, June 6, 2021

THE HAGUE – Former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic will on Tuesday hear the decision on his appeal against his genocide conviction, in a Hague tribunal’s final verdict on the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.

The ruling will be the closing chapter in the case against the man dubbed the “Butcher of the Balkans”, who was sentenced to life imprisonment by a UN war crimes tribunal in 2017.

Now an ailing 78-year-old, the once-burly military strongman of the 1992-1995 Bosnian war is expected to be in court, where he has previously delivered angry outbursts against the West.

Mothers of some of the 8,000 men and boys killed in the worst act of bloodshed on European soil since World War II will be outside the court where they have long campaigned for justice.

“We will go to The Hague to look the executioner in the eye once again as he is finally sentenced,” Munira Subasic, president of one of the “Mothers of Srebrenica” associations, told AFP.

The verdict will be handed down at 1300 GMT, viewable on a livestream with a half hour delay because the courtroom is closed to journalists due to coronavirus restrictions, at the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals.

Its prosecutor Serge Brammertz said he was “cautiously optimistic” about the verdict, telling reporters this week he “can’t imagine another outcome than confirmation”.

The mechanism deals with cases left over from the now-closed UN war crimes court for the former Yugoslavia, which brought justice for crimes in the bloody break-up of the country in the 1990s.

‘Future of our children’

Mladic, who spent a decade on the run before his capture in 2011, was convicted of one count of genocide over Srebrenica as well as for war crimes and crimes against humanity in general during the Bosnian war.

Judges found him guilty of orchestrating a campaign of “ethnic cleansing” to drive Muslims and Bosnians out of key areas to create a Greater Serbia as Yugoslavia tore itself apart after the fall of Communism.

The war left around 100,000 people dead and 2.2 million displaced.

Prosecutors said he personally oversaw the massacre at the supposedly UN-protected enclave of Srebrenica as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing to drive out Muslims.

Munira Subasic, an NGO head, says she and the mothers of 8,000 boys and men will be outside the court in the court in The Hague waiting for the verdict Tuesday. – recom.link pic, June 6, 2021
Munira Subasic, an NGO head, says she and the mothers of 8,000 boys and men will be outside the court in the court in The Hague waiting for the verdict Tuesday. – recom.link pic, June 6, 2021

Footage from the time showed him handing out sweets to children before they and the women of Srebrenica were taken away by bus, while the men of the town were marched into a forest and executed.

Relatives of the victims also hoped that the court would also overturn Mladic’s acquittal in 2017 on wider genocide convictions, saying it was necessary for reconciliation between still-divided communities.

“This verdict is not only important for the victims and survivors. It is very important for the future of our children, of all of us,” said Subasic, who planned to be at the court with around a dozen supporters.

‘Everyone is proud’

But for some Bosnian Serbs, Mladic remains a hero. 

“Everyone is proud that he is from here,” said Radosav Zmukic, head of a local veterans’ group in Mladic’s hometown of Kalinovik.

He recalled meeting Mladic two or three times during the war and being impressed by his “boldness”.

During a long legal process delayed repeatedly after Mladic needed surgery to remove a polyp, and then because of the Covid-19 pandemic, Mladic appealed all the convictions and his life sentence.

The frail-looking former general raged during the two-day appeal hearing in August 2020 that he had been “pushed into war” and dismissed the court as a “child of western powers”.

He was the military face of a trio led on the political side by ex-Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic and former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic.

Milosevic died of a heart attack in his cell in The Hague in 2006 before his trial had finished while Karadzic is serving a life sentence for genocide in Srebrenica.

Prosecutor Brammertz warned the Mladic judgment would not bring an end to the divisions in the Balkans, saying it was just “the end of one chapter”. 

“Denial of genocide is the last phase of the genocide,” Brammertz said. – AFP, June 6, 2021

Related News

World / 2w

Former King Charles adviser arrested under UK terrorism law after Palestine Action protest

Malaysia / 9mth

Trump’s arrival: ‘A simple and respectful welcome would have sufficed’ – says Perlis Mufti

Opinion / 1y

The UiTM KKK prank: Racist ‘jokes’ fuel genocide

Opinion / 2y

Why has South Africa brought Israel to ICJ and not ICC? – Hanipa Maidin

Malaysia / 2y

Gaza violence a ‘poignant reminder’ for M’sia to accede to Rome Statute: Bar

World / 3y

ICC arrest warrant against Putin valid for life, says chief prosecutor

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month