World

Thai court orders shutdown of news site linked to ex-PM

A website partly owned by former premier Thaksin Shinawatra had been broadcasting live footage of the protest on Facebook

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Oct 2020 7:30PM

Thai court orders shutdown of news site linked to ex-PM
An anti-government protest in Bangkok on October 19, 2020. – Khaosod pic, October 20, 2020

BANGKOK – A Thai news outlet connected to exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra was ordered to shut down Tuesday over its coverage of anti-government protests in Bangkok as demonstrators prepared to take to the streets for a sixth consecutive day.

Voice TV, a website partly owned by Thaksin's family, was one of four media organisations under fire for their reporting of the youth-led pro-democracy protest movement and has been critical of the government.

Thousands of protesters have massed in the capital for daily demonstrations, flouting a ban imposed late last week prohibiting gatherings of more than four people.

They are demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, who was first brought to power in a military coup and reform of the kingdom's powerful monarchy.

"Media freedom is important but in some cases there are some media outlets disseminating distorted information that is inciting unrest," Prayut told reporters after a cabinet meeting following the ruling at a Bangkok court. 

The media outlets allegedly published and broadcast material that "violated computer crimes laws and the emergency decree", according to the ministry of digital economy and society.

Voice TV executive Makin Petplai denied protest coverage had jeopardised national security.

"For 11 years, Voice TV has been committed to democracy, giving space to people's opinions from all sides with openness, transparency, and responsibility to facts," he said in a statement on their website.

Voice TV political commentator Virot Ali said the station will continue to broadcast online until they receive the court's order in writing.

"This is a direct interference by the state," he told AFP. 

"We've been singled out because the state wants to deter the other platforms."

The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand expressed deep concern that the Royal Thai Police were investigating Voice TV, along with Prachatai, The Reporters and The Standard.

The four media outlets have been broadcasting live footage over Facebook during the protests.

"A free media is an essential element in any democratic society and bona fide journalists should be allowed to report important developments without the threats of bans, suspensions, censorships or prosecution hanging over them," the club said.

On Friday riot police used water cannon on peaceful demonstrators.

Demonstrators are expected to rally outside a shopping centre on Bangkok's outskirts and at train stations in Bangkok on Tuesday evening and there's also a protest scheduled in another province.

The court ruling comes a day after the ministry of digital economy and society said it had flagged more than 325,000 messages on social media platforms that violated the Computer Crimes Act, which critics say is used to muzzle dissent.

The hashtag #SaveFreePress was trending in Thailand on Monday.

The court is yet to announce a decision on whether to shut down the other three media outlets. – AFP, October 20, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

Our Planet / 1w

New tourism concepts from Thailand to mark new border crossing

Malaysia / 2w

KLIA security gaps exposed as Malaysian pilot clears checks, flies while high

Malaysia / 2w

Thai border town Dan Nok fades as new border crossing diverts Malaysian traffic

World / 2w

Thailand pursues Interpol red notices for Southern insurgents sheltered in Malaysia

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit