World

Trump administration wages last major Supreme Court fight

Administration seeks to exclude undocumented immigrants from population count used to determine states' representation in Congress

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Dec 2020 7:30AM

Trump administration wages last major Supreme Court fight
United States President Donald Trump  is due to leave the White House and hand over to President-elect Joe Biden on January 20 even though he is still refusing to concede his electoral loss. – Pixabay pic, December 1, 2020

WASHINGTON – United States President Donald Trump's administration wages its last major policy fight before the Supreme Court Monday as it seeks to exclude undocumented immigrants from the population count used to determine states' representation in Congress.

If the outgoing president's plan goes forward, states with large numbers of undocumented immigrants could see their influence reduced in the US House of Representatives.

It would amount to a last-minute victory or defeat for Trump, who is due to leave the White House and hand over to President-elect Joe Biden on January 20 even though he is still refusing to concede his electoral loss.

The US census is carried out every 10 years as spelled out in the Constitution, and it determines certain federal aid and the number of seats each state holds in the House of Representatives, the lower house of Congress.

In July, with the census underway, Trump issued a directive to exclude the country's estimated 10 million undocumented immigrants from the count determining the number of House seats.

The Republican who has spent his presidency seeking to limit immigration has said he does not want to allow congressional representation to foreigners in the country illegally.

Until now, the census has included all residents of a state apart from foreigners on a temporary visa.

Several Democrat-led states, including New York, which has a large number of immigrants, have challenged the change and have been victorious in lower courts.

The Trump administration as a result asked the Supreme Court to intervene urgently since the president is due to transmit the results of the 2020 census and the number of seats for each state to Congress in January.

Monday's arguments before the court will be by telephone due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and a decision is expected soon.

In 2019, a narrow majority on the court blocked an attempt to ask for the citizenship of census participants, which risked further reducing foreigners' willingness to respond and undercounting the population in certain states.

Since then, another Trump appointee has been named to the Supreme Court, with conservative justices now holding a six-to-three majority.

The justices could however limit themselves to questions of procedure in the case and avoid the issue entirely.

According to a study from the Pew Research Center, three states – California, Florida and Texas – could lose a seat each over the next decade if the change goes forward.

Three others – Minnesota, Alabama and Ohio – could gain one seat, Pew said. – AFP, December 1, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 3h

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Business / 10h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen