Malaysia

Deadly helium cylinder blast at Sungai Petani expo: More arrests expected, say police

The explosion killed a trader and injured several others, including a teenage boy, amid growing scrutiny over safety standards at temporary public events

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 22 May 2026 8:32AM

Deadly helium cylinder blast at Sungai Petani expo: More arrests expected, say police
Police have detained two men and are preparing further arrests following a fatal helium gas cylinder explosion at a business expo site near Dataran Jam Besar in Sungai Petani, May 22, 2026

AUTHORITIES have launched a criminal negligence investigation after a helium gas cylinder exploded at a business expo site near Dataran Jam Besar in Sungai Petani, killing a trader and injuring several bystanders in a blast that sent metal fragments flying up to 100 metres across the crowded area.

Kuala Muda district police chief Hanyan Ramlan said two men, aged in their 20s and 40s, had been detained to assist investigations into the incident, with further arrests expected later in the night.

“Police will make several more arrests tonight,” he told reporters at the scene.

The explosion claimed the life of 42-year-old trader Azmi Ahmad, while three others, including a 15-year-old boy, sustained injuries during the incident, which occurred at about 7.53pm.

Hanyan urged any additional victims who may have suffered injuries during the blast to come forward to assist investigators as police piece together the circumstances surrounding the explosion.

He also confirmed that the expo, which had been scheduled to run from 20 to 26 May, would be temporarily shut down to facilitate investigations.

“Police received a call at 7.53pm from members of the public informing us of the incident.

“Initial investigations found a man lying on the ground who was confirmed dead due to severe injuries to his right hand and right chest.

“We believe the incident may have occurred when a cylinder containing gas exploded.

“Its fragments were hurled between 70 and 100 metres away and struck several other traders, causing injuries,” he said.

Police are investigating the case under Section 304A of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence.

The victim’s body has been sent to the Forensic Department of Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah for further examination.

Separately, the Sungai Petani Fire and Rescue Station confirmed that the blast involved a helium cylinder used to fill balloons for children at the expo site.

Sungai Petani Fire and Rescue Station chief Siti Norafiza Mohd Noh said the department received an emergency call at 7.52pm and dispatched eight firefighters led by Senior Fire Officer II Mohd Badrul Hisham Hassan to the location.

“The Operations Commander reported arriving at the scene at 8.05pm and found that the explosion involved a helium gas cylinder used to fill children’s balloons for business purposes.

“Two victims, a 15-year-old teenage boy and a 46-year-old man, were injured, while a 42-year-old man was confirmed dead at the scene by Health Ministry personnel,” she said.

She added that the injured victims were handed over to the Health Ministry for treatment, while the deceased was placed under police custody for further action.

The deadly explosion has raised renewed concerns over the handling and storage of compressed gas cylinders at temporary commercial sites and public events, particularly those involving family-oriented attractions and crowded night markets. - May 22, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

Anwar vows stronger Federal ties with Sabah, Sarawak ahead of MA63 talks

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Zahid calls for forensic audit into RM9b Felda losses