MALAYSIANS planning to travel to Thailand have been advised to put their trips on hold following 51 bomb explosions and other violent incidents reported across three provinces in southern Thailand last night.
Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said the warning should not be taken lightly, given the uncertain security situation in the area and the frequency of attacks.
He said the advice remained in line with the position previously taken by the Foreign Ministry.
“We are not stopping anyone from going there, but we advise them to be careful.
“Last night, I met members of Ducati Malaysia who had arrived in Kelantan and were planning to enter Thailand today. I advised them not to go to Hat Yai because 51 incidents were reported in southern Thailand last night,” he told reporters after a press conference at the Kelantan police contingent headquarters today.
The incidents were reported in Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani, with the attacks taking place over a period of nearly two hours.
They included bomb blasts, fires at government offices and vehicles, attacks on telecommunications towers, robberies, explosions at convenience stores and the burning of tyres.
The attacks were believed to have been linked to separatist groups.
Mohd Yusoff also reminded Malaysians entering Thailand to be mindful of increased enforcement by Thai authorities, particularly over traffic offences.
He said Malaysian vehicles found violating Thai traffic regulations could be issued summonses.
“Thai authorities are actively looking for offences, especially traffic violations. They will take action against Malaysian vehicles that do not comply with their laws,” he said. – August 23, 2026