Malaysia

Selangor Sultan praises Anwar, Najib for ensuring completion of LRT3 project

His Royal Highness reflected on how the idea for the Klang–Shah Alam–Kuala Lumpur rail corridor was first raised during a breaking-fast gathering in 2015.

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 01 Jul 2026 5:02PM

Selangor Sultan praises Anwar, Najib for ensuring completion of LRT3 project
The Sultan expressed hope that the LRT3 will reduce reliance on private vehicles - July 1, 2026

SULTAN of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, has praised Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim for ensuring the completion of the LRT3 project, while also acknowledging former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak for accepting the royal suggestion that originally set the rail project in motion.

In a royal statement issued in conjunction with the opening of the LRT3 line, His Royal Highness reflected on how the idea for the Klang–Shah Alam–Kuala Lumpur rail corridor was first raised during a breaking-fast gathering in 2015.

The Sultan said the proposal came after he received numerous public appeals, particularly from housewives, who described the daily burden of severe traffic congestion along the Federal Highway, with many families affected by long commuting hours and delayed returns home.

The Sultan noted that Klang’s connectivity challenges were further worsened at the time by limited crossings over Sungai Klang, with only two bridges available, resulting in persistent bottlenecks during peak travel hours.

As an immediate measure to ease congestion, the administration under Najib also implemented the removal of the Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau toll plazas in 2018, which the Sultan said helped improve traffic flow in the short term.

However, the LRT3 project itself underwent a long and complex development process.

The Sultan noted that construction was delayed for more than 18 months following the change of federal government in 2018, and subsequently faced an additional 19-month delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He also referred to the period when former Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng, together with then-adviser Tony Pua, carried out a cost rationalisation exercise after the project was reclassified as no longer being a “mega project.”

The review led to smaller station designs, reduced train configurations, and the cancellation of five proposed stations.

“I want to emphasise that this is not a mega project and not something meant for grandeur or pride, but a project for the benefit and well-being of my people,” the Sultan was quoted as saying, emphasising that the LRT3 was always intended as a people-focused project rather than a prestige development.

The Sultan also credited the current administration under Anwar for ensuring the project was revived and completed, including the reinstatement of the five previously cancelled stations.

He further noted plans to integrate affordable housing developments near selected stations along the LRT3 corridor.

He welcomed assurances that no further administrative obstacles would be placed in the way of completing the project.

Looking ahead, the Sultan expressed hope that the LRT3 will reduce reliance on private vehicles by offering commuters in Klang and Shah Alam a faster, safer, and more comfortable connection to Kuala Lumpur.

He also urged Prasarana Malaysia Berhad to maintain strong upkeep standards to ensure smooth and reliable operations.

At the same time, His Royal Highness cautioned against any attempts by parties to claim sole credit for the project’s completion, stressing that LRT3 is the result of continuity across multiple administrations and long-term coordinated planning in the interest of the rakyat.

He added that the rail line should ultimately be seen as a key driver of urban connectivity and economic growth, strengthening links between Klang, Shah Alam, Petaling Jaya, and Kuala Lumpur as part of Malaysia’s wider development corridor. – July 1, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 5h

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 5h

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar

Malaysia / 12h

Immigration truck tragedy: PM extends condolences, orders thorough probe

Malaysia / 1d

Govt open to study integrating GST, SST

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar dismisses KJ’s claims of strained relations with Zahid

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar wants to stop the practice of embezzlement; reforms to continue

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint

Malaysia

5.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Bali Sea

Malaysia

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

Malaysia

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia

SSM’s new corporate system clears 70,000 transactions as authorities tackle early disruptions

Malaysia

Prosecution challenges Zizie Izette’s acquittal in RM150 million FELCRA bribery case

Malaysia

Teenager shot in both legs while fetching water in Lawas