Malaysia

Muhyiddin must call confidence vote now, accept reality: Dr Mahathir

Waiting until Sept not in line with federal constitution, says former PM

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Aug 2021 7:48PM

Muhyiddin must call confidence vote now, accept reality: Dr Mahathir
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad says that with the withdrawal of some 12 Umno MPs, it is impossible for Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to still retain a majority. – File pic, August 5, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin must accept the reality that he no longer commands the majority support in Dewan Rakyat and must call for a confidence vote immediately, said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

Dr Mahathir said in his weekly virtual press conference that Muhyiddin’s move to wait until September to hold the vote in Parliament is not in line with the federal constitution.

“This is because he (Muhyiddin) does not have the majority and is not eligible to become prime minister and lead the government.

“He must accept reality. If he legitimately lost the majority, he should immediately hold a parliamentary session to determine whether he has retained the majority or not.”

Dr Mahathir was responding to a question fielded by a reporter about whether he was concerned over the possibility of Muhyiddin “buying” support from MPs.

He said while the country cannot hold an election due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Parliament can still convene in a hybrid mode to carry out the vote.

Dr Mahathir added that Muhyiddin should gather the names of those who backed his leadership in the form of statutory declarations.

“When I resigned (as prime minister last year), all parliamentarians had to sign a statutory declaration before the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. But this is not being done now.

“What’s being done is that Muhyiddin is only claiming to have the majority when he does not. Everyone knows this.”

The Langkawi MP said this was due to the recent withdrawal of eight Umno MPs from the Perikatan Nasional government, with an addition of four others following suit.

Dr Mahathir said that with the withdrawal of some 12 Umno MPs, it is “impossible” for Muhyiddin to still retain a majority.

“Even before this, he (Muhyiddin) had secured a majority with only two MPs (from the 112 minimum). But he had admitted that he has the majority, as he did before when he claimed to have support before (in 2020) so that the Agong would choose him as the prime minister.

“He even claimed (to the Agong) that I and another five (MPs) from Bersatu had supported him when we did not (last year). This means that he lied, and now it looks like he is lying again.”

Asked whether his party Pejuang would back any leader should Muhyiddin be replaced, Dr Mahathir said his party would be willing to accept any leader who can secure the majority in Parliament. – The Vibes, August 5, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

No-confidence motion: I have no objections, says Anwar

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin could remain Bersatu president despite court cases, say observers

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin’s 4 power abuse charges linked to Jana Wibawa remain

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin claims trial to sedition charge

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin in court to face sedition charges

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin expected to be charged tomorrow over alleged 3R remarks

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Elephant footprints spark fear among Felda Chalok Rahmat residents

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Anwar unveils first online 9.9 Jualan Ihsan Rahmah sale for Malaysians

Malaysia

Cabinet approves 17 measures to beef up KLIA security checks, controls

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry