Malaysia

No more mega PPVs as mass vaccination exercise ends, says KJ

Health minister says booster shots to be done in private, public clinics

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 03 Oct 2021 10:32PM

No more mega PPVs as mass vaccination exercise ends, says KJ
Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin says once each area has a sufficient portion of its population vaccinated, the corresponding PPV will be shut. – AZIM RAHMAN/The Vibes pic, October 3, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – The government will cease operating mega vaccination centres (PPVs) soon with most of the nation’s population having received their doses, said Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

While he did not mention a specific date for full closure of large-scale PPVs, Khairy said future doses such as booster shots will be administered at private and public clinics.

“When we reach a stage where vaccine recipients have received their doses, there is no need to have large PPVs in operation because this involves costs and so on,” he told reporters.

“When we are satisfied with an area reaching good coverage, we will be closing PPVs.”

Khairy said this after officially closing the mega PPV at the World Trade Centre (WTC) here this evening where the last AstraZeneca recipient received his jab this evening.

During the closing ceremony, Khairy said the PPV at WTC was the largest in the country, and was the site of administration of nearly 1.3 million AstraZeneca doses for some 645,000 people since it opened in March.

He later told reporters that his ministry will hold a meeting with the Science, Innovation, and Technology Ministry (Mosti) tomorrow to discuss the status of several PPVs that are still in operation.

“This is to see whether there are those left behind, and foreign citizens. We will discuss this matter, but for large PPVs, we have reached the objective and today we have closed the PPV that has given most vaccinations in Malaysia, that is the WTC.”

However, he said some smaller PPVs will still operate for teen vaccinations, although this programme will be implemented in many schools as well.

“For booster shots, we will do them via private and government clinics,” he said.

“So the mass vaccination exercise is complete.”

On vaccinations for adolescents, Khairy said there have been no serious side effects reported so far.

Asked whether participants of vaccine trials will get vaccination certificates on MySejahtera, Khairy said the ministry is addressing the matter and allowing those who received placebos to be vaccinated. – The Vibes, October 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

Court postpones KJ's RM2m defamation verdict following Pak Lah's passing

Malaysia / 2y

Unity Govt cowardly, irresponsible for snuffing out GEG, bowing to pressure: Khairy

Malaysia / 2y

Tough times ahead for Anwar under Johor sultan as next king: TMJ

Malaysia / 2y

Food delivery rider: Khairy’s newest gig?

Malaysia / 2y

Is that it, Khairy mocks Kit Siang’s seemingly muted response to Zahid’s DNAA

Malaysia / 2y

Khairy’s dream city to stay in? It’s not what you think

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman

Malaysia

Malaysia Airlines plane aborts take-off after black smoke seen at Narita Airport

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint