Malaysia

[UPDATED] Melaka polls won’t see Norhizam under DAP banner: Guan Eng

DAP sec-gen rejects Pengkalan Batu rep candidacy in next month’s state election

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 19 Oct 2021 1:22PM

[UPDATED] Melaka polls won’t see Norhizam under DAP banner: Guan Eng
The DAP candidacy for the Melaka polls will be raised during the next Pakatan Harapan presidential council meet, says party secretary-general Lim Guan Eng. – The Vibes file pic, October 19, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – DAP will not accept Melaka’s Pengkalan Batu incumbent and former party member Datuk Norhizam Hassan Baktee to contest under its banner in next month’s state election.

Party secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said the matter will be raised when the Pakatan Harapan (PH) presidential council meets next.

“I want to stress that DAP rejects completely the Pengkalan Batu assemblyman as a candidate for the state polls,” he was quoted as saying by Utusan Online in a press conference in Melaka today.

Norhizam won his seat in the 2018 general election when he was a DAP member, and was later appointed executive councillor as PH took control of Melaka. 

However, he withdrew support for the PH state government, caused its collapse in March 2020 following the Sheraton Move at the federal level, and threw his support behind the new Umno-led administration. 

He was subsequently sacked from DAP over his involvement in the collapse of the PH government. 

Earlier this month, Norhizam and three other state assemblymen pulled the plug on then chief minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Md Ali, triggering a snap election that will be held next month. 

It was previously reported that the four assemblymen who withdrew support for the state government are seeking to contest under the PH banner.

They met opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and other PH leaders at a hotel in Melaka yesterday evening to discuss the matter.

Other than Norhizam, the three others are former Umno duo Datuk Seri Idris Haron and Datuk Nor Azman Hassan, and ex-Bersatu’s Datuk Noor Effandi Ahmad. 

Earlier yesterday, the Election Commission announced that Melaka will head to the polls on November 20 to fill 28 vacant seats, with nomination day set for November 8. 

Norhizam has been embroiled in a number of controversies since his election into the state assembly, most notably when he shouted “babi” at PH representatives in the assembly. 

In October, Melaka police were forced to seize his official car after he refused to return it following his resignation as a state executive councillor member. 

Recently, a leaked audio clip purportedly between him and Umno’s Datuk Muhammad Jailani Khamis went viral, in which the pair were allegedly discussing, among others, the offering of millions of ringgit for Norhizam to throw support behind the Umno-led state government. 

Norhizam said he has yet to listen to the recording, and as such, did not wish to comment on the matter. – The Vibes, October 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

Malaysia / 2d

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

Opinion / 6d

The alchemy of staying

Malaysia / 1w

Inspector, policewoman plead guilty to khalwat

Malaysia / 1w

BN Melaka ready to discuss cooperation ahead of state polls

Malaysia / 1w

PH Melaka looking at contesting other additional seats

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Misunderstandings, financial factors among top causes of domestic violence - Minister

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia

Immigration truck tragedy: PM extends condolences, orders thorough probe

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT