Malaysia

Youth leaders refuse to be silenced amid massive blocks for tomorrow’s anti-Azam rally

The effort authorities put into intimidating dissenting voices ‘amazing’, says Muda vice-president Dr Thanussha Francis Xavier

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 22 Jan 2022 12:22AM

Youth leaders refuse to be silenced amid massive blocks for tomorrow’s anti-Azam rally
The sighting of authorities during the recent flood crisis was few and far in between, but all of a sudden, over 1,000 cops will be manning roadblocks to prevent tomorrow's anti-Azam rally, points out Muda co-founder Dr Thanussha Francis Xavier. – @AdamAdli Twitter pic, January 22, 2022

by Qistina Nadia Dzulqarnain

KUALA LUMPUR – Youth leaders questioned the government over its apparent dedication in silencing the voices of dissent ahead of the #TangkapAzamBaki rally tomorrow.

Speaking at a hall above Restoran Amjal here tonight, Muda vice-president Dr Thanussha Francis Xavier asserted that the people are tired of authorities channelling their utmost effort into decisions that do not benefit the people.

“The effort that they (authorities) have put into silencing the voices of the youth is amazing,” she sarcastically said in reference to the deployment of over 1,000 police officers tomorrow for the protest scheduled to take place at the Bangsar LRT station tomorrow at 11am.

Voicing the discontent felt by many, she pointed out the irony in the overzealous call by comparing the drastic number of officers deployed tomorrow to the absence of authorities during the recent flood crisis.

Where was this readiness to deploy police officers when the people were stuck in floods?

“We did not see such a big number of officers coming out to help us when we had to face the floods but now, just a day before we are set to hold our protest, they (authorities) are ready to send out forces to silence us,” she said.

Thanussha also pointed out that the #Lawan protest held in July last year faced a similar predicament when organisers and participants were investigated by police for their involvement in the movement.

“They should know by now that we are not going to stay quiet while those who abuse their power do as they please from their high positions,” she said.

No matter how much you try to intimidate us, the youth will rise and take to the streets tomorrow to fight for the betterment of our country.”

Expressing a similar sentiment, Pakatan Harapan youth chief Howard Lee Chuan How said that the people marching for their rights tomorrow are doing so because all other avenues of change have been exhausted.

“We are not in this for fun. We are not afraid of being arrested, but we are worried about the future state of the nation if we allow corrupt politicians to rule over us. 

“The youth must spark the flames of the fight to return the nation to its rightful course,” he said, urging the youth of the nation to take part in the protest tomorrow. – The Vibes, January 21, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 4d

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, police probing TH after RCI findings as govt warns no one will be spared

Malaysia / 1w

Former PM Ismail Sabri expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 1w

MACC-Customs task force under discussion as smuggling cases pile pressure on enforcement agencies

Malaysia / 1w

RCI TH: MACC arrests former CEO, CFO over RM370m plantation share deal

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

Motorcyclists account for two-thirds of road deaths as govt targets 50% cut by 2030

Malaysia

DAP faced a Hobson’s choice

Malaysia

Negeri Sembilan assembly erupts over RM180k allocation to PH lawmakers before dissolution

Malaysia

Penang third link option preserved under 2040 blueprint

Malaysia

Man arrested over indecent act and RM390 theft at Perils village library

Malaysia

SSM’s new corporate system clears 70,000 transactions as authorities tackle early disruptions

Malaysia

Sabah youths urged to see agriculture as modern career and business opportunity - Masidi

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre