Malaysia

A fresh pardon bid by Najib Razak? - Minister declines comment

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Hannah Yeoh says she has no knowledge of a reported new pardon application by former premier Najib Razak

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 23 Apr 2026 2:27PM

A fresh pardon bid by Najib Razak? - Minister declines comment
Speculation grows over a fresh appeal to the Federal Territories Pardons Board - April 23, 2026

MINISTER in the Prime Minister’s Department (Federal Territories) Hannah Yeoh has declined to comment on reports that former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has filed a fresh application for a royal pardon, saying she has no information on the matter.

“I do not have the details at the moment, so I do not want to comment on it,” she said briefly when approached by reporters after officiating a house key handover ceremony under the Baiti Jannati programme at the Desa Rejang public housing multipurpose hall today.

Recent reports, citing unnamed sources, claimed that Najib had submitted a new petition for clemency to the Federal Territories Pardons Board, allegedly during the month of Ramadan, with a copy also sent to Istana Negara.

It remains unclear whether the application relates to his conviction in the SRC International Sdn Bhd case, the wider 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal, or both, though it is said to seek relief from all criminal convictions.

Najib, 72, has been serving his prison sentence at Kajang Prison since 23 August 2022 after being found guilty on seven charges involving criminal breach of trust, abuse of power and money laundering linked to RM42 million in SRC International funds.

Previously, the Pardons Board reduced his sentence from 12 years to six years’ imprisonment and lowered his fine from RM210 million to RM50 million.

Under Article 42 of the Federal Constitution, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong holds the authority to grant pardons, reprieves or commutations of sentences, and presides over meetings of the Pardons Board, which comprises the Attorney General, the Federal Territories minister and three members appointed by the King.

On 22 December last year, the Kuala Lumpur High Court dismissed Najib’s application to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest, which he argued was in line with an alleged supplementary royal order. He has since filed an appeal against that decision. - April 23, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Neighbourly dispute turns violent, 80-year-old struck with iron rod

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir