Malaysia

Police bust MyKad forgery and online loan scam syndicate in Besut raid

A raid leads to the arrest of two suspects with drugs, digital equipment and counterfeit documents seized in a late-night raid in Besut

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 29 Apr 2026 2:18PM

Police bust MyKad forgery and online loan scam syndicate in Besut raid
Police in Terengganu dismantles a syndicate involved in forging Malaysian identity cards and exploiting online loan systems - April 29, 2026

POLICE in Terengganu have uncovered a syndicate involved in forging Malaysian identity cards and conducting online loan fraud, following a raid in Kampung Raja, Besut, on 23 April.

State police chief Datuk Mohd Khairi Khairuddin said the operation, carried out at approximately 10.05pm, led to the arrest of two men aged 35 and 39.

A search of the premises uncovered various items, including 7.11 grammes of methamphetamine, commonly known as syabu, with an estimated value of nearly RM640.

“In addition, police also seized equipment believed to have been used for MyKad forgery activities, including two laptops, two printers, a laminating machine, a pendrive, blank cards and 12 MyKad believed to be fake.

“Various mobile phones, SIM cards, portable WiFi devices, bank cards, e-wallet cards and cash amounting to RM550 were also seized,” he said during a press conference at the Terengganu Police Contingent Headquarters.

Initial investigations revealed that the seized MyKad cards bore the names and identification numbers of real individuals, but the photographs had been altered and did not match official records held by the National Registration Department.

Those individuals were contacted and confirmed that the cards did not belong to them and that they had never authorised the use of their personal details.

“Further investigations also found that one of the suspects is a former graduate of a public university in the field of engineering and used his expertise in information technology to exploit weaknesses in the online loan application system.

“Their modus operandi was to open bank accounts using fake MyKad before submitting online loan applications,” he said.

Police believe the operation had been active for more than a year, with at least 12 loan applications successfully approved, resulting in estimated losses exceeding RM40,000.

Both suspects are understood to have engineering backgrounds and experience in the information technology sector, which facilitated the execution of the scheme.

Background checks also revealed that both men have four prior criminal records related to drug offences.

The case is being investigated under Section 39A(1) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, as well as offences under the National Registration Act 1959 and Sections 420 and 468 of the Penal Code.

The suspects have been remanded for seven days from 24 to 30 April and are expected to be charged in court tomorrow. - April 29, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Budget 2027: Cost of living to take centre stage as government weighs global risks

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged