Malaysia

Govt flags surge in AI-driven misinformation as 464 false posts linked to supply crisis identified

Teo warns that the rapid spread of AI-generated misinformation is posing an escalating threat to public trust and media credibility in Malaysia

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 07 May 2026 1:42PM

Govt flags surge in AI-driven misinformation as 464 false posts linked to supply crisis identified
Deputy Communications Minister reveals that hundreds of false online posts connected to the recent global supply crisis were detected within a month - May 7, 2026

AUTHORITIES identified 464 pieces of false online content linked to the global supply crisis between March 29 and April 30, with the majority already removed from digital platforms, Deputy Communications Minister Teo Nie Ching said today.

Speaking at the opening of the HAWANA 2026 Media Forum, Teo said the spread of misinformation — increasingly fuelled by artificial intelligence technologies — had become a growing challenge to public confidence, media integrity and social stability.

“A total of 464 pieces of false content related to the global supply crisis were identified between March 29 and April 30,” she said.

“312 of the items had been successfully taken down.”

Teo added that enforcement agencies had intensified investigations into the spread of false information, with dozens of cases now under scrutiny.

“In addition, 65 investigation papers were opened, with 15 cases referred to the Attorney-General’s Chambers while others remain under investigation,” Bernama reported her saying.

The deputy minister warned that AI-enabled manipulation and impersonation tactics had accelerated the circulation of deceptive material online, particularly through fake social media accounts and fabricated public figure identities.

She said reported cases involving fraudulent and misleading digital content had increased dramatically over the past three years, rising from 6,297 incidents in 2023 to 63,652 in 2024, before climbing further to 98,503 cases in 2025.

“As of April 30 this year alone, 60,829 such content items have already been taken down by platforms,” she said.

Teo said the figures underscored the urgent need for professional journalism standards and media credibility to be preserved amid the rapidly evolving digital ecosystem.

She also called for the Malaysian Media Council (MMC) to play a stronger role in resolving disputes involving media reporting, while urging a more balanced and measured approach towards issues affecting press freedom and journalistic practice.

Her remarks came against the backdrop of Malaysia’s latest decline in the Reporters Without Borders World Press Freedom Index, where the country slipped to 95th place from 88th previously.

“While journalist safety has improved, declines in the media economy and legislative environment remain a concern, and this is not a position we are satisfied with,” she said.

“Journalism is a pillar of democracy.”

Teo stressed that disputes arising from news reporting should primarily be addressed through the Malaysian Media Council, which was established in February last year as an independent self-regulatory body for the industry.

The council was formed to uphold journalistic ethics, develop codes of professional conduct and safeguard the welfare of media practitioners.

Its governing board comprises representatives from media organisations, journalists, academics, civil society groups and public interest representatives, with provisions ensuring gender balance as well as representation from Sabah and Sarawak. - May 7, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

Malaysia

MEF: Employers want faster approvals and fewer delays

Malaysia

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Teacher, six-year-old child killed as MPV skids, lands in ravine

Malaysia

Kepong MP: Hadi has no immunity from law over alleged anti-DAP claims

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat