Malaysia

Flash floods at Terengganu's Pasar Payang

Major districts affected; evacuation process ongoing

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 9:45AM

Flash floods at Terengganu's Pasar Payang

KUALA TERENGGANU – Heavy rain for about six hours since 6pm yesterday caused flash floods in several locations in Terengganu last night.

From videos shared on Facebook, a few tourist locations, such as Dataran Syahbandar, Pasar Payang and Kampung Cina were also affected, with roads in the area closed to light vehicles.

Residents in affected areas were seen busy helping one another to move their vehicles to higher ground, but many traders did not have enough time to move their wares due to the fast rising water.

According to the Disaster Management Committee Secretariat, as at 7am today, 439 victims from 124 families had been evacuated to nine relief centres – less than 24 hours after the closure of the last relief centre for the second wave of floods in the state.

The flood today affected Kuala Terengganu, Kuala Nerus, Marang and Kemaman, with evacuation processes being carried out in a few other districts.

Meanwhile, Bernama part-time reporter, Kamaliza Kamaruddin, 39, said the water in her two-storey house has rose to knee height, but the family did not evacuate as they moved upstairs.

“We had time to move only some of the electrical appliances upstairs. This is the third flash flood since we moved to this residential area at Jalan Pusara here,” she said, adding that the previous two occasions were in 2016 and 2018.

However, she said, this time, the water took longer to recede.

Bernama photographer Mohd Khairul Fikiri Osman, 34, was also affected by the floods when water flowed into his house at 9.30pm. Three hours later, he moved out and checked into a hotel with his wife and two children.

“I was able to move the refrigerator to a higher level, but had to leave other appliances when water started to fill the house. What matters most is my family’s safety,” he said.

 As at 7.30am today, the water is beginning to recede, though in some areas, it is reported to be drizzling. – Bernama, December 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Use of Jalur Gemilang without crescent moon, stars was unintentional - MB

Malaysia / 1mth

Drug-positive man crashes into Terengganu Hospital emergency zone glass door

Malaysia / 2mth

Pregnant wife distraught over husband's sudden death from incident at sea

Malaysia / 3mth

Ahmad Samsuri named new opposition leader

Off beat / 4mth

Unusual ‘Grave-Sleeping’ challenge circulates online, raises scepticism

Malaysia / 4mth

Terengganu is different from Klang Valley, WFH needs will be assessed - MB

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion